[16.1] LibreOffice still 7.3.1.3

Hello there,

Zorin OS 16.1 was promoted with: "LibreOffice is one of the most important apps included in Zorin OS, and with this new release, it’s getting even better. We’ve included LibreOffice 7.3, the latest version of the award-winning office suite."
I thought we would get minor updates at least, but as of today Zorin OS stays at version 1:7.3.1_rc3-0ubuntu0.20.04.1~lo1 even though 1:7.3.4~rc2-0ubuntu0.20.04.1~lo1 is available.
What is the benefit of installing LO from the Zorin Repos if the official PPA is more recent?

Kind regards

I bypass the repo on many things and just install directly. Much of the software in the repo's comes from Ubuntu which is slow as molasses to update anything.

I also suspect that as Zorin 16 is based on Ubuntu 20.04 it will want to run the most compatible version of LO that isn't going to crash.

I've tried libreoffice in xUbuntu 22.4 and in pop os , libreoffice opens very very fast in them, but in zorin lite it take long time to open

You're using the newer version of Ubuntu with the newer version of Libre Office, they are two different things than what Zorin 16 is presently using.

Ubuntu 22 was just released and no doubt Zorin 17 will be based on using that version.

Just for clarity for the benefit of members reading this it will be 22.04 not 22.4!

We've just now published LibreOffice 7.3.4 as a software update to all Zorin OS 16 users. To upgrade to it, simply open the Software Updater and install the latest updates.

4 Likes

7.3.5 is out now and the corresponding libreoffice ppa entry was created on the 16th of July. What is the reason for your own repo instead of pointing to the ppa?

Which PPA would that be?

Just because a software update is released doesn't mean every distro will just go around updating the systems immediately. It needs to be tested first to make sure there were not any changes that could affect the current system.

Zorin is not a bleeding edge distro where it will just push out every update to all software the moment it is released. If that is what you want, there are plenty of distro's like that, however you need to accept the problems that come along with them. You also need to know how to fix such things on your own.

You don't have to use the PPA that Zorin uses for Libreoffice, you can install it directly getting the update as soon as it is released. However, if there are any issues, you need to know how to fix them.

Perhaps an Arch distro is for you? It's bleeding edge, but breakage are common now and then, so you'll learn alot the command way and how to fix systems.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.