Accidentally locked folders and files

I have a USB drive with some holiday photographs on it. I was in the process of deleting the pics I didn't want and, somehow, all of the folders and files on the drive are locked. I don't know how I did that but I would like to unlock all of the folders so I can continue with my editing. I cannot find any way to unlock them. Can you tell me how I do that.
Thanks
PhilJ.

I'm not sure how you did this either. At the root directory where the usb is mounted (either /mnt or /media) right click the device, choose properties then go to the security tab and take a screen shot.

Change the group permission to read / write (dropdown list under Philip) . You can do this from the terminal also by using:

sudo chmod +w /media/<name-of-usb-directory>

Let me know if either of these work. Please replace what is in angle brackets with the name of the usb dir.

2 Likes

Hi 337harvey,
Thanks for your help. When I try to change the permission under 'philip' I get this:

and, if I use the terminal (assuming my syntax is correct), I get:

chmod: cannot access '/media/philip/Laptop': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access 'USB': No such file or directory

Should I have kept your angle brackets? (I didn't)

Sorry, I might have misunderstood our instructions. I have tried the terminal again with: sudo chmod +w /media/philip

'philip' is the directory containing the USB. It accepted the command, but nothing was changed regarding permissions.

I think you just need to use the chmod command as above but reference the target in speech marks (as you have a space), so..
'/media/philip/Laptop USB'

Richard

It may be controlled by fstab... meaning you hit a default for mounting usb as read only when the notification popped up. Fstab entries have priority over all users except root. In terminal use the command:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab 

and change the three digits on the usb device (mounted at /media/philip) to 022. Don't change other entries, just the usb. The mount point will appear in the middle of the screen. You should have one for / and possibly /home (depending on how you installed). Save and close the editor. Then logout and log back in and see if you can access the thumb drive with write permissions.

I got this after this command:

/etc/fstab: static file system information.

Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a

device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices

that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).

/ was on /dev/sda2 during installation

UUID=7eec14c0-a188-498b-89bb-16bfffe47bd5 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

/boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation

UUID=2C96-4662 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
/swapfile none swap sw 0 0

OK. I've backed up everything from the USB drive to my Laptop's hard-drive. Can I now format the USB drive and then copy the files back to it?
If so, what is the best way to do that?
Thanks again for help.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.