Add duckduckgo in the zorin search start page

Oh, bloody pretty please! Yes!

1 Like

Ew brave products

1 Like

Still better than DDG

who says that? can you prove your claims?

and just don't quote unknown sources like DuckDuckGo is Bing, we know this because when Bing accidentally censored all ima... | Hacker News

also, brave better? are you serious? never ever heard about any of their controversies?

What controversies? The affiliate link one? Have you looked into it yourself or have you just heard opinions? Brave is infinitely better than DuckDuckGo which is following the steps of Big tech in censorship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjWDfIpwEAQ

Also, DDG is really a Bing frontend, like that's not even an opinion, it's literally in their FAQ: Where do DuckDuckGo search results come from? | DuckDuckGo Help Pages

They pay $7 for 1k queries, DDG is literally Bing. So all you're really doing is helping Bing gather your search query data to improve it further, even though the search queries themselves are proxied. Brave Search is miles better because it's an independent index that does not track you and is free from censorship as already declared by them. Supporting DDG is supporting censorship, Supporting DDG is supporting Bing, Supporting DDG is supporting Big Tech and I wouldn't have it.

2 Likes

I also use Google all the time man, the search results are just good. I do use Startpage for my private search engine, but I don't even use incognito so I basically only use google.

Thanks for this - I am now going to switch to mojeek.

Great simple install Add Mojeek To Firefox

On Brave:

Interestingly, mojeek offers alternative searches using:
Brave, Ecosia, Gigablast, and Startpage - I'd certainly not use Ecosia, or Startpage - never heard of Gigablast.

Mojeek is pretty good and they're also a Brave partner. Brave Search gives you an option for Mojeek if you're not satisfied with the search results and Mojeek gives you an option for Brave Search.

I've used both and Brave's results are high quality but Brave is still in Beta and I'm seeing it changing in realtime, been using it for almost a year and it's gotten a lot better. In its current shape and form, I have to say that Brave Search is better than than most other search engines that rely on other search engines. The UI is the strongest point and I'm happy to help build an independent index. Mojeek is pretty good though, I recommend it (might not always show good quality results but it's an independent index) :slight_smile:

1 Like

to say that ddg is just a bing front end tell a lot about how much you know about search engines! do you understand the things you read??? you are sharing link but they don't claim the things that you do!

Ok look, I won't use brave search because I don't really agree with their crypto stuff thing, but I do like they don't collect user data. I also really like the look of the page, good job to them.

Also, I don't think DDG is a Bing frontend, Ecosia is more like a bing frontend in my opinion. I also tried Mojeek and its image searching capabilities are spotty at best, u basically need to use Bing all the time.

You can even try it. DDG's and Bing's search results are almost exactly the same. DDG says they use their own crawler bot but in reality, almost all their search results come from the Bing API.

But brave search has nothing to do with crypto?

The point of this post is to have it included with the official Zorin start page, not only for aesthetics but also to further enhance privacy by default.

Easy option? :innocent:

@anon2532484 Based on duckduckgo's censorship I will not be using it at all - perhaps the thread should state how to add 'mojeek' to the Zorin start page instead! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Giving it a try now thanks. :wink:

1 Like

maybe the Zorin developers should allow adding custom engines in general

Startpage would be a good choice too :slight_smile:

Perhaps Yandex should be the default search engine!

1 Like

Yandex probably down-ranks a lot of things too due to it's russian nature, too bad the government can force things like this :confused: