Additional drivers showing strange warning

I was checking the files under /lib/firmware and I already have the files as in the zip I downloaded from that first website. what now?

Already have? From when... today or they were already there?

they were already there.
accessed: 07 apr 2021
modified: 30 mar 2017

also I got this from your second link:
sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for arianit:
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Wireless 8260
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: wlp2s0
version: 3a
serial: ac:ed:5c:6c:88:47
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.4.0-74-generic firmware=36.e91976c0.0 ip=192.168.0.14 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:128 memory:ef000000-ef001fff

Yep - just as FrenchPress suggested- it was included in the kernel.

1 Like

I checked /lib/firmware on my Aspire.
But I did not see any file that looked like [iwlwifi-6000g2a]
which made sense since it was supposed to be a part of the kernel.

Now my question is, if this Intel WiFi driver is a part of the kernel, why you see it in that directory? Puzzling.

1 Like

Because Intel is far more supportive on Open Source than many other proprietary vendors are.
During Installation or even during a System Update, the system (Ubuntu derivatives) can access direct intel drivers (but it canNOT do this with Nvidia).

1 Like

and for my case, what now?

Well, my thinking was if the O.P. rename this driver (not removing for safety sake), it might remove this redundancy in the driver list.

[Edit after I read @Aravisian's comment below.]

Ah yes, this superfluous entry might have come with the recent kernel update. Reverting back to the older kernel seems much safer than touching the firmware directory.

See? I am a novice. Honestly, if it was me, I would use Synaptic to purge and reinstall 5.4.0-74-generic package. Do Not Reboot Until the reinstallation is completed.
You also may be able to boot from the recovery menu to an earlier kernel just to see if the Jockey warning is present in that kernel, as a test.

the downloaded firmware says:
accessed: 11 jun 2021
modified: 18 jun 2015

the accessed date is more recent but modified is older!

if I remember right I saw this warning in additional drivers earlier. I can't tell if since I installed zorin (somewhere around february this year) or from an update afer. I ignored it. and now I was arguing with someone about linux vs windows and stumbled on this again

That is absolutely normal.
Unless you edited the firmware (heaven forbid!) it should have the date it is created.

yes and it may be fine to continue ignoring, too. I wouldn't. But I am a bit of a perfectionist...

But if you have plans of upping to Zorin 16 in the not-distant future, it may be better to just wait as long as the wifi does not crash out before then (maybe.)

Or, like me, having a cheap USB WiFi dongle at hand, just in case I have a such problem :wink:

I am working with this warning for more than 3 months now, and didn't have any recognizable problem except that warning. I even can't apply and of these options, all I can click on is "close". I will upgrade to zorin 16 when they make the upgrade from 15 available, I will not do a fresh install.
it's strange, it says "device not working" but it is working. the problem is, that if my wifi goes down I have no other way to connect to the internet, my device doesn't have a LAN port

I have been using Windows over a quarter century. It still amazes me the number of drivers I have to install at each reinstallation. I can install Linux in less than 20 minutes, but usually spend more than 1 hour for Windows.

1 Like

WiFi dongle is around $5 at either Amazon or eBay.
Look for chipset: 8188cus or RT5370 (both from Mediatek), they never failed on me.

You can also buy USB to LAN convertor.
It is a little more pricey, but it also gives additional USB ports.
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07K1PSVG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I will see how long it will go. maybe it will keep working as long as my laptop lives