Alternative Suggestion? (for Disk Cleaner)

Is there an Alternative for Windows Disk Cleaner on Zorin OS?
Lot of Junk on my Drive.

1 Like

How about Something Better,

To clean your Zorin OS

sudo apt install bleachbit

USE RESPONSIBLY

4 Likes

In addition to @anon6471198 's suggestion, I would add another one:
Ubuntu-cleaner.
Everything has its pros and cons. Bleachbit is more verbose and selective in your choices. Ubuntu-cleaner does not need to be differentiated as root in order to use it and is thorough and very easy to use.
Both are quite safe.
I would give Ubuntu-cleaner an additional point for safety, however. As Bleachbit offers more select-ability of what you are removing, a user can accidentally wipe data they didn't want to lose.
Which... may relate to the warning above to use it responsibly.

When I was a Windows user, I used CCleaner. I would consider the above two choices similar in function and usability to familiar CCleaner, but more thorough in action and results.

Installation:
Ubuntu-cleaner is independently developed and open source, so resides in its own repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gerardpuig/ppa

sudo apt update && sudo apt install ubuntu-cleaner

I have used both since I moved over to Linux and never had either of them fail me or behave buggy.
There was one small gripe about Bleachbit that I had in which it places two panes very near to eachother overlapping the checkboxes: you can read this guide here to solve that:

3 Likes

Just Cleaned everthing with it, how to remove this?

sudo apt remove --purge bleachbit
2 Likes

Gracias.

I've been using Ubuntu Cleaner for the past 5-6 months ever since you suggested it to me to remove unwanted files .... use it 2-3 times a week and it works like a charm .....

Amended thread title, to add what subject "Alterantive Suggestion?" is sought.

I have a small HDD, so I regularly clean apt and journalctl to make space.
The terminal commands for the latter task are given here: Using the Terminal Emulator in Linux Distros - #2 by zabadabadoo

1 Like

I'm curious about file cleaners... in Windows I used also CCleaner because I knew there were temporary files and similar that stayed around as part install/uninstall of programs, etc. But I thought that is already taken care of by the package managers in Linux? So what exactly do these cleaners do? I know bleachbit has the ability to fully remove files from disk by overwriting the disk section directly for example. But that hardy seems like a mainteinance issue as much as security/privacy.

2 Likes

Take a look at Stacer:

2 Likes

No, when you run sudo apt clean in terminal, in fact, that is what is purged. The residual packaging and configuration files from an installation you ran previously.
When you use the remove --purge parameter, it is the same: I t not only removes the software, but also the packaging and configuration. A simple removal leaves that stuff behind.

And for good reason.

It's all about efficiency. When a person installs software, there is a high probability that they will reinstall it. By retaining the initial downloaded package, it spares taking up bandwidth by repeating the download. It is faster, since the user waits less time, as it does not need to run the download again.
Much of this is stored in the Apt Cache.

Other things cleaners remove include indexed thumbnails, temp files, trash can contents, old kernels, browser caches (Which can get hefty) and uneeded packages (Which sudo apt autoremove takes care of) which are dependency packages installed but no longer needed.

2 Likes

Indian Wife WASHING LAPTOP - YouTube don't do that.:rofl:

2 Likes

She sure did an excellent job of washing that laptop and good to see she hung it on the clothesline to dry .... she is a real "Helpful Hanna" .... :+1: :rofl:

1 Like

I bet this is cleaning Disk for forever.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.