Android phone detection failing

When an Android phone is persistently failing at random on being detected does this means that there's a problem with the kernel, the USB port or something else?

31 oct 02:14:00 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Unable to open device MTP MTP «001,009»
10 oct 02:57:24 PM gvfsd-mtp: Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
10 oct 02:53:43 PM kernel: usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Android
10 oct 02:53:43 PM kernel: usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Android
10 oct 02:53:43 PM kernel: usb 1-3: Product: Android
 9 oct 05:56:18 AM kernel: usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Android
 9 oct 05:56:18 AM kernel: usb 1-2: Product: Android
 7 oct 04:07:17 AM gvfsd-mtp: Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
 7 oct 04:07:17 AM gvfsd-mtp: Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
 7 oct 01:55:50 AM gvfsd-mtp: Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
 6 oct 02:51:14 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Unable to open device MTP «001,008»
 6 oct 11:58:54 AM gvfsd-mtp: Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
 5 oct 03:49:39 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,022»
 5 oct 03:49:39 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,022»
 5 oct 03:46:47 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,021»
 5 oct 03:45:41 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,019»
 5 oct 03:10:33 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,018»
 5 oct 03:02:20 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,017»
 5 oct 02:58:29 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,016»
 5 oct 02:57:23 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Unable to find a corresponding udev device.
 5 oct 02:57:21 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,014»
 5 oct 02:53:46 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,013»
 5 oct 02:52:40 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,012»
 5 oct 02:50:12 PM gnome-shell: Unable to mount volume SAMSUNG Android: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Impossibile aprire il dispositivo MTP «001,011»

When you plug the phone into the computer you should see a prompt to set it to one of "transfer files", "charging only", etc. I don't remember the exact names, but make sure to select the transfer files option.

3 Likes

Agreed Zenzen. I believe it has something to do with the permissions on the Samsung end. I had a similar issue. It was a relatively quick fix. Just so long ago for me to remember exactly. I too have a Samsung.

2 Likes

I think this an option with Android in general, and one that causes a lot of confusion as people simply expect it to work by plugging in the cable... not sure if it's due to security either as I think you can just go ahead and change that even without unlocking the screen? I'm not sure I don't have a charger with me to try it right now.

1 Like

You may need libusb-dev - I grab that one after OS install; helps with non-functioning USB's.

If it works with another machine, and not with Zorin, I'd say it's probably missing libusb-dev. Check your USB cable, maybe USB port on the phone too - every microUSB and Type-C I have get.. kinda mangled. Just normal use, at that! And dust - likes to creep in and collect around the pins. I use a toothbrush to clean out all the hard-to-reach places, compressed air to get the stragglers lol

1 Like

@zenzen, in my case I have MTP and PTP. By default, when plugging the phone MTP is the default option since it shows all files on the computer while PTP shows only photos, any other file is hidden. @JeffK969, most likely not, I see the service MTP application on the list of services in use so I won't think about permissions. Then if it's not working as intended or being constantly interrupted that's another thing :grin:. @PlumpKibbles, my cables are always clean :smirk::toothbrush::electric_plug::broom::face_with_monocle:. I tried libusb-dev but the issue persists :tired_face:. Installing that library the phone tells me that the computer is missing of the files to detect the phone.

1 Like

Maybe is an older version of Android... but still you should have an option to enable file transfer, which will allow Linux to navigate its file system. In my case, the "No data transfer" is the default and I have the following options:

You can get to this menu from Settings -> Connected Devices -> USB.

1 Like

Should mount as external storage / mass storage device with MTP.

What is your output with apt search libmtp? If not installed, that may be the missing link :thinking: Are you trying to use ADB / Fastboot?

1 Like

@zenzen, 4.4.4 :grin:. Of course I can change method, as I said I have MTP and PTP. My workaround would be simply switching between them to resolve the issue but the phone stops being detected after apparently random times, sometimes immediately, sometimes few seconds, sometimes after about 1 minute. It's quite confusing. @PlumpKibbles, here's the output:

android-file-transfer/focal 3.9+dfsg-1build1 amd64
  reliable MTP client with minimalist UI

gmtp/focal 1.3.11-2 amd64
  simple file transfer program for MTP-based devices

jmtpfs/focal 0.5-2build2 amd64
  FUSE-based file system for accessing MTP devices

libmtp-common/focal,focal,now 1.1.17-3 all [installed, automatic]
  MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) library, common files

libmtp-dev/focal 1.1.17-3 amd64
  Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) development files

libmtp-doc/focal,focal 1.1.17-3 all
  Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) library documentation

libmtp-runtime/focal,now 1.1.17-3 amd64 [installed, automatic].
  Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) runtime tools

libmtp9/focal,now 1.1.17-3 amd64 [installed, automatic]
  Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) library

libosmo-sccp-dev/focal 0.10.0-4 amd64
  Development files for libsccp, libmtp and libxua

mtp-tools/focal 1.1.17-3 amd64
  tools for media transfer protocol (MTP) library

I'm not using ADB, I disabled developer options right to prevent them to stop the MTP method as I often use the processes limit feature and any other option that may interfere. About fast boot I'm not sure :person_shrugging:.

As much as I like KitKat I think it's time to move on :joy:

Well, I assume the device must be quite old then so it's worth considering the possibility of hardware failure, could be something as simple as dust in the microUSB connection. If you have the chance to open the device and clean the connectors it may help.

Otherwise, maybe consider other methods of transferring files like Zorin Connect or Syncthing... although those may not even be supported by the Android version either

1 Like

Well, that looks normal!

That's kind of odd though. Are you using a USB 3.0 Type-C cable? I have had issues in my car with a 3.0 cable and the dinky 2.0 USB port *in* the car.. all kinds of read errors.

(edit) ^^ I was way off. Type-C wouldn't have been there yet.. whoops lol disregard that..

With KitKat though, in your notifications drop down (swiping top taskbar down) do you have any 'USB Connected' messages? That will bring up another window that will have a button reading 'Connect USB Storage' and an Android above it.

This.. is rather strange though - is it able to connect in other computers?

1 Like

Does this ubuntu forums thread help?:

or alternatively this:

2 Likes

@zenzen, in fact both are unsupported. @PlumpKibbles, that screen seems even older than KitKat as I don't have that appearance, and by the way I have no such menus, when I plug my phone all I can do is tapping the related notification and choose between MTP (default) and PTP, nothing else. So I can only use MTP as PTP hides all content that isn't a photo taken by the phone. Unfortunately I can't test on other computers. @swarfendor437, on the first link I read that they're complaining about media files not appearing on the computer, I'd bet that's the PTP protocol matter :wink::grin:. One suggests using WFTP but since I have a USB cable I want to use that to copy videos to the laptop and avoid video compression on Wi-Fi or any video quality loss. I tried Android File Transfer but it just shows the main Android folders and after this on the phone I soon read that the computer hasn't the files to detect the phone :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. @337harvey, cable stays plugged correctly on both ports, they are both clean and in perfect conditions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.