Anti-virus?

Ahhhhhh, thats the pits! Grrrr :angry:

Truth is, I've been wanting to get ESET for the Linux desktop since 6+ years ago. But I could never justify the cost, and here I am kicking myself for not doing it. I see why I missed that message, I am in DARK MODE on the Chrome browser, and it covered up the yellow highlights, so I never saw it.

Truth is, I don't really understand why they are abandoning support for ESET for Linux desktop? I mean, is it just chat support they are abandoning? Or is it virus definition update support? Cause if its no more virus update support, well then its a no go.

But I think I could deal with no longer chat with agent support type deal, I could care less about that, I don't see me using one of those.

1 Like

I fixed it.
I have absolutely no Anti-virus on Linux.
I do not have to share any files with Win/mac users myself.

I looked up Business end point, its like 240 dollars, way beyond the scope for a home owner. I read the features on it though, looks like top notch security software that I'd only be too lucky to run. But not for 240 dollars, not gonna happen.

We will see where things go for desktop users. The most I could consider is 60 dollars, but even then thats a bit of a stretch. If I could get year around protection for 40 dollars per year, that wouldn't be too bad I think for home desktop use.

EDIT: I just looked over your link, and holy freaking balls that is unbelievably complicated. So many terminal commands, and literally 0 lamen explanation. It completely assumes that your a network IT professional.

FYI: Thats the sort of stuff that makes Windows users who want to switch to Linux, change their mind. I mean, they gotta be unreal. I mean have a look at that people, don't just take my word for it. Its stupidly complicated, completely unnecessary.

IDK, I think ESET just caters to Windows users more then anything else. Have a look at their products page, and that will be blantly obvious. I think I am losing respect for ESET now, cause they just don't seem to give a crud about Linux users.

1 Like

As above ESET is good but I'm not paying the full freight when Windows/MAC and Android users can get a home version for $20 on sale.

I use sophos as I have an old free version that I just keep updating. I believe they will stop updating it next year.

1 Like

No I think even on Windows Anti Virus is pointless, just don't be dumb when installing things on your system.

There is another "Anti Virus" thread here:

I run the occasional ClamTK scan, followed by Rkhunter scan. Both need interpretation of results as Clam throws up false positive hits for Potential Unwanted Apps (PUA's) and Rkhunter also throws up "Warnings" for suspicious large memory segments and hidden directory, which are just warnings, not trouble.

Large memory segments? Well, then that means it wouldn't like my whopping 32GB of RAM, too bad, it can't have it. :rofl:

2 Likes

@StarTreker Not that large :roll_eyes:
Example Rkhunter Warning:
/usr/bin/gnome-terminal/gnome-terminal-server .....size16MB(allowed1.0MB)

wow 32gb :exploding_head:. I am at 4gb :angry:. do you have 1tb ssd or hdd.

It's not resorting to, it is making efficient use of a powerful tool. I think this really demonstrates that- it is all in how you perceive it. I think the bias against the terminal is far more important than the tools themselves. In my mind, this is akin to a person doing everything they can to avoid a box end wrench because they only want to use a ratchet for everything. Sometimes, the ratchet applies as the right tool for the job. Sometimes, the box wrench does.
If you find CLI complicated... What's to stop you from finding GUI complicated? What makes GUI easier or does anything?

The More GUI must try to emulate the power and versatility of CLI, the more development that is needed to fit all that functionality into it and the more buttons and menus needed - it grows exponentially.
Lack of Full Scale Paid and supported development of such may well be why Linux has limits on that.

Well said. This is also why many distros shun the gnome-software app as hopeless and use Synaptic, instead.

1 Like

This is indeed, seriously lacking in Linux.

2 Likes

I have 64 GB RAM.
I can almost install Zorin on it - but I cannot for obvious reasons.

Eset Endpoint Antivirus works fine as a stand alone. I have been using it for almost 12 years now in a Windows / Linux Environment and I can say I have been virii free. Running that as a management in an enterprise network of 2600+ workstations and servers. Its not too expensive.

Sparkey70

1 Like

Eset you can using trial key for free just searching on website.

I agree Eset eating minimal RAM from all another antyvirus software.

1 Like

Just seen from ESET website:

"ESET NOD32 ANTIVIRUS FOR LINUX DESKTOP currently receives limited support and will be terminated in Q3 2022."

Never again on linux? Why?

ESET has already annoyed me for doing this. I always thought that they supported Linux, but they are now showing me that their priorities are no longer aligned.

Lets hope that somebody out there knows of Anti-virus for Linux that is cheap or free, that is powerful with a good GUI interface, that is better then ClamTK.

Cause if not, then ClamTK remains supreme.

2 Likes

My solution don't stealing a bread from big gamers corporation what they could payed them not continuing some products for linux to not moved more users to using linux with a software for linux what could gived lower money for Micro$oft and another greedy people.