Anti-virus?

This is indeed, seriously lacking in Linux.

2 Likes

I have 64 GB RAM.
I can almost install Zorin on it - but I cannot for obvious reasons.

Eset Endpoint Antivirus works fine as a stand alone. I have been using it for almost 12 years now in a Windows / Linux Environment and I can say I have been virii free. Running that as a management in an enterprise network of 2600+ workstations and servers. Its not too expensive.

Sparkey70

1 Like

Eset you can using trial key for free just searching on website.

I agree Eset eating minimal RAM from all another antyvirus software.

1 Like

Just seen from ESET website:

"ESET NOD32 ANTIVIRUS FOR LINUX DESKTOP currently receives limited support and will be terminated in Q3 2022."

Never again on linux? Why?

ESET has already annoyed me for doing this. I always thought that they supported Linux, but they are now showing me that their priorities are no longer aligned.

Lets hope that somebody out there knows of Anti-virus for Linux that is cheap or free, that is powerful with a good GUI interface, that is better then ClamTK.

Cause if not, then ClamTK remains supreme.

2 Likes

My solution don't stealing a bread from big gamers corporation what they could payed them not continuing some products for linux to not moved more users to using linux with a software for linux what could gived lower money for Micro$oft and another greedy people.

I think the slow development in the antivirus apps for Linux is its less urgency nature. I cannot imagine running Windows without any antivirus, but that is not the case for Linux.

Actually the ideal thing might be an integrated antivirus in Linux OS - just like what Windows did with their security app.

3 Likes

FrenchPress, thats a super de duper excellent idea, and I full endorse it.

Thing is, while it is indeed true, virus's on Linux, really hasn't been a thing for 30-years, those days are changing. Virus's have been showing up these days.

And with Ransomewear on the rise and such. About the only security that I feel that we actually have on Linux these days, is through the internet browsers themselves.

Browsers like Firefox and Chrome will actually worn you if you are going onto a unsafe website. Thats the only front line protection Linux users have right now.

As good as ClamTK is, its only usefulness is scanning files and folders which are already on the drive. That won't protect you from getting stuff on the drive in the first place.

Like I said, only protections Linux users actually have, are built into the web browsers. And I do believe that is better then nothing, of course!

But I'd like to see something more robust then ClamTK at some point. Basically, I'd like to see something like ESET for Linux. I don't mind paying for it either if it doesn't cost too much.

60-dollars is a bit too steep though. Costs should be limited to 40 dollars or bellow for yearly subscription license. And the software should be easy install from DEB file, or PPA. But activation of said software should be done inside the software, just like on Windows APPS.

None of this, input a million lines of terminal code junk, and hope you didn't get the syntax wrong, cause lord knows you will, and you will get mad, cause it isn't simple and easy like it should be.

3 Likes

Considering the number of Linux targeting viruses, I think the daily update is way over-kill.

Monthly virus deffinitions updates is plenty often enough. Nobody needs daily updates, thats a good way to overload your internet bandwidth limit set by ISP's.

Yes, its true, unlike you folks over there in Europe who have access to blindingly fast fiber optic internet for like 25 dollars per month with no bandwidth caps, we Americans have the most garbage broadband internet for the money we pay.

Were hooked up on Coax line and pay 90 dollars per month for 88MB download

In France it is more than 50 Euro a month.
I am not sure about the bandwith capping since we never download anything huge from the net.

So your idea some Linux Defender antyvirus what have update security?

1 Like

Why Not (TM)

While I said the number of viruses targeting Linux is no comparison to that for Windows, more and more virus authors putting their efforts to create something that can compromise Linux. It is mainly eyeing for a "supply chain attach" but us the home Linux users could suffer from some ricochets.

Sure if all people focus on one GUI then like someone wrote here Linux could be after years better but many distribution and ways always gived diffrent solutions. That why some people go this way and another this way.

I think things could be boiled down to this one big question.
Do we want to learn Linux or do we just want to use it as a tool?

I myself would take the previous stance (to prevent me to go senile :wink: ), but everyone has their own priority.

If Linux ever wanted to break that 2% adoption rate, things like an integrated anti-virus is a good starting point, I think.

Solution need go to up to hearing a voice a people who are using Linux.
I know people don't like difficult operating systems.
That why in Norway many popular is apple.
Norway little go to America side.

1 Like