Are there any other apps you want pre-installed?

I can only hope. So far I've had a 0 % success rate convincing close friends and relatives relatives to use Linux rather than just buying a new PC. The few that got to the point of using Linux and whom seemed genuinely happy with their PC running better and doing anything they want, have ended up putting the PC in a drawer and buying a new laptop with Windows 11, Chromebook or an iPad after a few months anyway.

Then again, many of my relatives and friends are from a culture where idea of "The raised nail gets hammered down.” is prevalent. They don't want to be different from the other 99% of people around them. It's 'safer' to stick with Microsoft, Apple and Google, as not to potentially inconvenience others with your deviating choice.

3 Likes

So is the culture I belong to. Isn't it 出る杭は打たれる?

うん、そです。 :face_exhaling: 仕方がない? Or do you have any more luck preventing e-waste? At least I can get my family on board with using privacy respecting email and family photo sharing services.

2 Likes

I find this a very valid statement, but wish to add that Firefox is also suffering from multiple self inflicted wounds.

4 Likes

Outside of maybe some terminal functions the only thing I would like is an update manager similar to what Mint has.

I definitely do not want a bunch of preinstalled junk. Honestly was kind of annoyed it doesn’t have a “minimal install” option like Ubuntu when I installed it.

Propably some apps what many people using on the whole world.

To me... It is often very standard for users to Install or remove what they want. So having it come with or without certain things (Other than essential basics) is kind of a low priority issue.

So, in a way, when it becomes a big discussion, it actually implies that Zorin OS is doing very well when the users begin to focus on the Small Issues.

1 Like

For most I would say what they have done is great.

Only thing I would really mention is I think there should be a minimal install option. (Maybe the use case is to niche?)

Honestly I think darn near everything about Zorin is top notch.

2 Likes

I saw many things before, about app not working or doesn't exist. 2 days ago, when i created live pendrive Zorin. When i opened software store is bigger,more apps what before working on windows - now working on Zorin.

nautilus-admin in order to have the open as administrator in the menu.

1 Like

*Tweaks
*Extension Manager
*nautilus-admin

Would using Wayland on Zorin be a good experience?

I would say that all 3 of those goes against the point of Zorin myself.

Out of the box Zorin is meant to be pretty rigid to keep newer users out of trouble.

I actually never thought of Zorin OS this way... The Settings app in Core (Gnome Control Center) on Zorin OS comes with an Extensions tab to manage extensions, as well as having many extensions installed.
The Settings App includes multiple ways of configuring themes and shell themes, too. Using the default, Zorin Accent Color Picker, or choosing a different Custom Theme, too.

You could be right but... Looking at Zorin, I do not see much rigidity.

It is an interesting question that only the ZorinGroup could clarify - but they may have good reason to not want to clarify it.

This is true, I do not think they are trying to "lock it down" but I do not think they want to throw a lot of stuff like that at the user. I think they figure if users like us want it we will install it and the ones who dont probably dont need it.

Rigid may not be the right word. But the Zorin Taskbar for instance gives way less control to the user than Dash to Panel. I believe that is very intentional

1 Like

This is a very valid point.
And one thing about this topic: That many things are not included because we can install what we want, but others might call too many inclusions "bloat."

Things that should be included by default should be Essential things a user may not know they need or be particularly very difficult to install.

EDIT:
I prefer inxi over using the sudo lshw commands. But I got tired of making users install inxi everytime we troubleshoot. I would prefer Inxi came installed with Zorin OS.
So there are reasons that an easy install that anyone could install may be beneficial for inclusion, too

1 Like

Agreed, inxi is great for initial analysis for troubleshooting.

1 Like

At least set AM/PM and show day of week as default.

Windows has a fancy clipboard manger (Win+V). Don't know if there are any similar Linux apps.

I saw on some linux distribution the clock was up and date under or date up and clock under. I saw it was very nice to customization.

In addition to changing how a mimetype like PDF is handled, I wonder if a utility like Junction might be handy.

Thanks for considering my request to implement nautilus-admin in Zorin OS 16.3. Highly appreciated!!!