Are you happy with ZORIN?

I agree with u, I think there r some settings should be enabled by default like enable qt5ct settings for kde apps in zorin.

1 Like

I have to say this Distro is the one I stayed the longest with. Longer than arch and all the other custom ones. I still distro hop when I have free time and really think I found something better but I always come back here. I had two major issues, but I had both of them fixed thanks to this forum :smiley:

3 Likes

I am happy enough with Zorin that I purchased the Pro Version to encourage and help the developers.

2 Likes

I helped also always $ from version 7 when I discovered they are exist. I wondering if Zorin can creating reverse engineering - from apple?

@Bourne Reverse engineering of what in particular?

here is reverse engineering apple M1

1 Like

@Bourne so a M1 compatible Zorin Release? I believe at this time due to developer time and resource constraints they are not working on, nor have plans for a Arm based release.

If you have a M1 Macbook, you can use a arm based Ubuntu release (for Rpi) as they have integrated nextboot for m1 compatibility, add the zorin repositories, and see what packages are cross compatible. I'm going to bookmark this as a reminder to test on my pi400 and see what the results are :slight_smile:

edit
It looks like the Zorin team does have an arm version planned for rpi sometime in the future

1 Like

Someone sayed the Zorin Team working on version for arm processors. PoP OS have arm and is Ubuntu. They have a couple more people but they are a company. Kodachi. I taken a observation about how many people on linux distribution what they created with a time and how many people.
ARM distribution for Zorin need wrote code from beginning it isn't the same what x86. So propably they can wrrote they working on that but we never know when it will be.
They can just reconfigure some another distribution arm to Zorin fork arm.

Two years ago I been hopping from different distros for months to see which one fit me the most, from ubuntu, fedora, linux mint, manjaro but everytime i tried a new distro I got issues with nvidia drivers or something that didn't work but then i tried zorinos and from that point mostly everything worked the way i wanted.

3 Likes

I am also super happy with Zorin. Much more than any other distro so far. That's why I bought 16 Pro as soon as it came out. The overall design is very well done and easy to follow, especially for a former Windows user. I use Zorin Connect quite a lot, too.
The only problem right now are very long boot times, but I think that is due to a boot repair I had to do after my Windows drive failed to start and I still rely on dual boot for work. So I am thinking about doing a fresh install. Just need to check the backup options and see what suits my case the most.
I really like this community, although I am more of a reader than a writer.
All in all a very wholesome experience to be part of the Zorin journey!

3 Likes

For backup use deja-dup to Google drive, this is how I backup my installs and transfer my profile. You can also use deja-dup to a USB drive if you have less reliable internet service.

1 Like

Thanks, it's not so much about the internet connection. I am nearly Google free with my own NextCloudPi server at home. So I know where to back up to. It's more about finding out what folders to back-up so I have the minimum effort of reinstalling and reconfiguring my system. I am thinking about setting permissions and things like that, too.
I just have to read up a bit more on it. Deja-Dup it is going to be then :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For the record. I am happy with Core & Lite. Use them both on different computers. I have never used Core for more than a month, typically would
wipe it out for Lite upon it's release. I forget when Core was released, but
it's winning me over. Both are fantastic.

1 Like

Give Devuan 4.0 Live version a spin:

http://mirror.alpix.eu/devuan/devuan_chimaera/desktop-live/

Available for 32-bit and 64-bit architectures!

1 Like

I've never been a fan of deja-dup primarily because it never seemed to work for me. All I ever do is make sure that I make a backup of /home with all hidden files included in the backup to a folder named after the Distro and version number to an External Hard Drive. I also use Timeshift, storing snapshots in my /home drive if any issue starts with the system. I would also recommend using rescue-zilla to create an entire backup of your system once you have installed your OS of choice and have installed any applications that didn't come with the install.

3 Likes

I am a big fan of Rescuezilla and try to use it every week .... for me it is light weight and easy to use .... I learned the hard way that some programs like games put saves etc. to different folders other than where you would think they would be .... one time I lost a weeks worth of game play due to that foul up ....

2 Likes

Deja-dup is good for documents desktop and user profile backup, not the best for a full system snapshot. For that I use redorescue. Personally the only real issue I have had with deja is when going from one DE to another, such as 'migrating' my profile from my desktop (16.1 pro) to my laptop (16.2 pro lite) it messed the themes up a bit. But was easy to fix.

For games I'm a lite gamer now so my saves are all on steam cloud. So I havnt put to much thought into games saving files all willy nilly

3 Likes

I am with the above, for the above stated reasons: I avoid using Deja Dup. It is good, it is smaller and easier to use compared to other apps out there... which is why it is included in Zorin OS (or partly why...)
I just prefer some better methods that are safer and don't encrypt your personal files making transfer difficult.

3 Likes

I am happy with Zorin. Zorin 16 version have all drivers for my hardware parts. When changed gpu AMD to NVIDIA. Working out from the box. I used xfce because is simple and smoothly.

3 Likes

Hello all! New member here, but I have been using Zorin Core for some weeks now and am quite happy with it! :heart:

4 Likes