Audio distorted crackling noise

Hi,

I am struggling to find a solution to fix a audio problem I am having. Sometimes out of nowhere when I am playing audio on top of the original audio I get a annoying crackling noise and when I stop the audio from playing it continues for two seconds before the audio turns off. I am getting it on the build in speakers of my laptop and when I am using my 3.5mm jack. The laptop where I am getting this problem is a Lenovo Legion 5.

Does anyone know what is happening?

Can you trell us what sound card/s your Lenovo has?

Maybe this thread can help. Sound popping on playback

$ cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_hda_inte

Is this what you are asking for? Maybe the problem here is that they both have the same name?

What does your ZorinOS>Settings>Sound show for playback device. Post a screenshot.

I am unable to make a screenshot when I have the dropdown menu open. But is looks like this:

• [screen icon] HDMI / DisplayPort - HDA NVidia
  • [speakers icon] Speakers - Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller

And this last one is the one I am using. When I plug in my 3.5mm jack the icon of the speaker changes to a headphone icon and the name changes from 'Speakers ...' to 'Headphones - Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller
'

I once experienced the same problem. At that time I found this workaround. It is worth looking into Ubuntu's sound issues.

Sounds like my problem. I have edited the /etc/pulse/default.pa file. Lets see if this is the fix I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

You can also create a blacklist.conf file in /etc to block the Intel HDA channel/source:

Hi-
Although I've switched my desktop to MX23 KDE, I wanted to follow up on this thread. I had similar audio issues on the MX system, and it was the same issue of the soundcards switching while playing audio.

The solution that has worked for me was simple. It seems that my monitor, which doesn't have speakers, does have an audio output jack meant for a soundbar accessory, which I don't have. I moved my audio cable from my desktop computer's audio out to the audio out on the monitor, and the issue has dissappeared. MX has an option to choose your soundcard, which I have set to the Nvidia card in the pc.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.