Auto restart when doing work

Ah, I didn't see the link he'd posted to the log.

What I'm seeing is sr0 acting up, which is a CD-ROM... it might be an actual CD-ROM or a loop-mount with bad sectors being treated as a CD-ROM.

And I'm seeing that the kernel is having problems allocating memory to a PCIe device:
pci 0000:1d:06.0: BAR 14: failed to assign [mem size 0x00200000]

And I see ALSA misconfiguration:
desktop alsactl[850]: alsa-lib main.c:1021:(snd_use_case_mgr_open) error: failed to import hw:0 (empty configuration)

And I see that gnome is having trouble communicating with systemd:
desktop gnome-session-binary[1149]: WARNING: Failed to upload environment to systemd: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name "org.freedesktop.systemd1" does not exist

desktop gsd-sharing[1258]: Failed to StopUnit service: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1

desktop gnome-software[2272]: internal error: failed, but no error code: cancelled

And PulseAudio problems:
desktop pulseaudio[1484]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

It's accessing unexpected files:
Apr 4 10:19:37 desktop gnome-shell[1637]: DING: Gjs-Message: 09:47:17.293: JS LOG: Error connecting to Nautilus#012GNOME nautilus 3.36.3#012Gtk-Message: 09:55:37.312: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"#012Gtk-Message: 09:55:37.316: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"#012Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache/index2/size#012Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache/index3/size#012Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/present#012Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu#012Sandbox: unexpected multiple open of file /proc/cpuinfo#012Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache/index2/size#012Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache/index3/size#012Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu/present#012Sandbox: attempt to open unexpected file /sys/devices/system/cpu#012Sandbox: unexpected multiple open of file /proc/cpuinfo#012Gtk-Message: 10:09:44.223: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"#012Gtk-Message: 10:09:44.224: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"#012Gtk-Message: 10:13:26.821: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"#012Gtk-Message: 10:13:26.823: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

I'm seeing CPU errors:
mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 9: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
... but that could be attributable to the GPU:

Then there's this:
desktop gnome-software-service.desktop[43700]: [2:0404/093748.072865:ERROR:bus.cc(399)] Failed to connect to the bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

That file (/run/dbus/system_bus_socket) exists on my system... something must have removed it (or irreparably corrupted it) on the OP's system. That might be the root cause of the problem currently being addressed:

desktop gnome-shell[1637]: Unable to mount volume Hp: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Error mounting /dev/sdc1 at /media/desktop/Hp: Unknow error when mounting /dev/sdc1

With 210 matches for the word 'fail', 616 matches for the word 'error', and 188 matches for the word 'warn' in the logs provided, I'd recommend doing a BIOS update (if one is available, given the following errors:
ACPI BIOS Warning (bug): Optional FADT field Pm2ControlBlock has valid Length but zero Address: 0x0000000000000000/0x1 (20210730/tbfadt-615)), resetting the BIOS to defaults (to be sure the CPU isn't overclocked or undervolted), disabling SecureBoot and TPM in BIOS, doing a drive check and a full reinstall.

That still doesn't address, however, the root cause of the current failure. I'd recommend checking what I listed in my prior post. There's something very wrong with this system.

1 Like

Well, i read all those comments.

Honestly, things went above my head.

So, what should i do?

Can u explain the process step by step.

I am a linux noob, as coding, os etc is not my domain.

Hei, should i do what u saud yesterday?
Unplug the secondary drive and do the kernal checking stuff??

Gday @John, Welcome to the community!

Are your running any "System Management/Monitor" ( like Cron or Cronky/etc)? ( check their settings )
If not try downloading a "bench mark" tester,
This may show a faulty device. (CPUX)
Alt:
Try removing one of the ram cards at a time & run the system
See if you can replicate the fault.

Disconnect any device that you don't use/need, CD-ROM/other hard drives/cards.

You could also run a drive test in "Disks" ( Smart data & self test)

Check the power supply.

Is there alot of dust inside your Machine?

You can get cheap Power/motherboard tester's under $20 each.

Bios update worked

1 Like

I tried to post the output link and i can't, community flagged it as a spam and hide my posts

Yes as @Mr_Magoo pointed out, check for BIOS/Firmware updates.
As for the different RAM cards, as long as the frequency's of both are the same or close too each other ( as the next available Hz) should be ok.
Trouble will/can happen more so with Large Hz diff.
( 2400hz & a 800hz)
Im offline for awhile. reality calls. bbs

How to do bios update/reset?

How to disable secure boot and TPM on Asus B350f?

Currently doing drive smart test extensive.

Is this your machine?
https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/rog%20strix%20b350-f%20gaming/helpdesk_bios/

Check what version of BIOS you've got, if it's a lower version number than the latest on that site, download the .zip file, extract it, and follow the directions to update the UEFI / BIOS.

If it's a Windows-specific installation file, let us know... there's a workaround that'll let you update the UEFI / BIOS even if you don't have Windows installed.

Yes this is my motherboard

Great. Now reboot, and enter the BIOS setup... there should be a page in there that tells you the version you've got installed.

Write that version down and compare it to the latest version on that website.

Doing it

Nope, mine one said 0401*64
Build date 5/16/2017

Wow, that's outdated. Latest is 03/21/2023. You're 27 updates behind. Definitely need to update.

I just realized... your machine isn't bootable, so we're going to go with the alternative means of updating the UEFI / BIOS.

You'll need another computer (which I'm assuming you have, since you're still posting here) and an empty USB stick.

We're going to set up Ventoy, download a Windows 10 PE .ISO file, boot that .ISO file on your Asus machine, then use Windows 10 PE to extract the .ZIP file you downloaded and update the UEFI / BIOS from that Windows 10 PE.

You can do the setup of the USB stick on your other computer, then once it's ready, plug it into the Asus machine and boot Win 10 PE. I'd put the .ZIP file with the UEFI / BIOS update onto the USB stick, too.

Look here:

I am posting here from my phone.

And yes, i have another pc where another linux is also installed there

Ok, good. Use that other PC to set up the USB stick with Ventoy and Win 10 PE. Then carry it over to your Asus and boot it into Win 10 PE.

Once you've got that USB stick set up, you can also download the Zorin OS .ISO file and drop it onto the USB stick... so you can boot to Zorin OS USB stick, or to Win 10 PE. That's your emergency recovery USB stick.

Given the size of USB sticks nowadays, you'll likely still have lots of free space... you can try out other distros LiveCD .ISO files just by dropping them onto that USB stick and booting it.

Doing it

I lost the track,
U r saying that i need to make a bootable pendrive with windows 10 and then boot it into my asus system then download that bios file, extract and install.
Right?

Just follow the directions in the link I provided. You're going to download the Ventoy installation program (Ventoy2Disk), use gnome-disks (select the USB stick (very important that you do this first), click the '3 vertical dots' button at upper-right and select "Restore Disk Image", select the Ventoy .ISO file, set it burning), boot the USB stick, set up Ventoy (again, select the USB stick to set up to), boot back into Linux and download the Win10 PE .ISO file (and the Zorin OS .ISO file) and drop them onto the large empty partition on the USB stick (don't 'burn' them, just copy them onto the large USB stick partition... Ventoy boots the .ISO file directly in what's known as a loop-mount, no need to 'burn' it. You can do the same manually for any .ISO file, but Ventoy makes it easy.).

I'd drop that .ZIP file for the UEFI/BIOS update on there, as well, so it's accessible when you're booted into Win10 PE.

Then you carry that USB stick over to your Asus and boot it, selecting Win 10 PE to boot to. If Win 10 PE doesn't work, you've also got Zorin OS to boot to.

I'm not sure which key you have to press on your Asus to change boot order (my HP is F9). If you can't figure it out, then boot into the BIOS and change the boot order so the USB stick is first to boot.

Ok, on it