AutoStart ProtonVPN

I installed the ProtonVPN app by following these steps: How to install the ProtonVPN Linux app on Ubuntu 20+

Now, I have the app on my machine and I added it to my favourites. But strangely, I don't find it. When I right click on the menu and click "Show Details", it opens the Software app with an error message "Sorry! There are no details for this app."

The problem is that I would like to add the app to the startup applications but as it is nowhere on my computer (also search doesn't help), I can't have ProtonVPN starting automatically.

I know the workaround with openvpn connections. That works but I prefer the ProtonVPN app as it gives me the freedom to change location.

Thank you!

The installation process provided by ProtonVPN involves adding a new repository, which Software Store cannot read from. You will also see this error with other software downloaded in a similar way (I agree it could be handled better).
You can still add a new startup application in the following way:

1. Menu -> Startup Applications

2. Add entry where the "command" points to the ProtonVPN executable.

3. You can find out the path to the executable by running this in the terminal:

which protonvpn-app

1 Like

Thank you so much! It works now.
Sorry for asking beginner's questions, I just switched from Mac to Linux. I really love the new privacy and independence but it is also a bit difficult as everything is a bit more difficult on Linux. I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly.

2 Likes

Absolutely no need to apologize for asking questions of any level, nobody borns knowing everything. You'll soon find out we're all here to learn as much as possible :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now, I wanna do the same with Proton Mail Bridge. But which protonbridge-app or which protonmailbridge-app returns no information. Any clue how to proceed?

According to this support article, there's a built-in setting to allow it to start automatically on boot, so I would try to use that first.

But if that didn't work, the installation guide suggests it may be calledprotonmail-bridge, so maybe give it a try. I assume this is how you installed it?

Otherwise, you can always run apt list --installed | grep <name_of_package> to search through your installed applications. Try different variations of "proton", "bridge" and things like that and see if it appears and under what name.

Thank you. Unfortunately, this support article is for Mac/Windows only.

And your command enters nothing I can use. Well, I guess I'll just open that file manually. Thanks for your help anyway!

sk@sk-StarBook:~$ apt list --installed | grep proton

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

proton-vpn-gnome-desktop/unknown,now 0.2.0-1 all [installed]
proton-vpn-gtk-app/unknown,now 4.1.0 all [installed,automatic]
protonvpn-stable-release/unknown,now 1.0.3-2 all [installed]
python3-proton-core/unknown,now 0.1.15 all [installed,automatic]
python3-proton-keyring-linux-secretservice/unknown,now 0.0.1 all [installed,automatic]
python3-proton-keyring-linux/unknown,now 0.0.1 all [installed,automatic]
python3-proton-vpn-api-core/unknown,now 0.20.1 all [installed,automatic]
python3-proton-vpn-connection/unknown,now 0.11.0 all [installed,automatic]
python3-proton-vpn-killswitch-network-manager/unknown,now 0.2.0 all [installed,automatic]
python3-proton-vpn-killswitch/unknown,now 0.2.0 all [installed,automatic]
python3-proton-vpn-logger/unknown,now 0.2.1 all [installed,automatic]
python3-proton-vpn-network-manager-openvpn/unknown,now 0.0.4 all [installed,automatic]
python3-proton-vpn-network-manager/unknown,now 0.3.0 all [installed,automatic]
python3-proton-vpn-session/unknown,now 0.6.1 all [installed,automatic]
sk@sk-StarBook:~$ apt list --installed | grep bridge

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

libatk-bridge2.0-0/focal-updates,now 2.34.2-0ubuntu2~20.04.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
sk@sk-StarBook:~$ 

Make sure you follow the installation instructions from Proton's website, and verify the integrity of the package as well. I just installed it and it actually created the auto-start entry automatically:

EDIT: Just noticed that you can actually enable the startup from the settings menu:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.