Awesome work with zorin os 16! (Gaming Thread/Help Thread)

Hi all,

Today i installed 1 of my old favorites games in Zorin OS 16. I tried to install lutris in the Software app but for some reason it got stuck and i could not remove it or reinstall it. So i used the sudo command sudo apt install lutris. It installed everything i needed to install Star Trek Elite Force II from GOG, that one just got released recent. So after everything got installed from Lutris (all the packages) i went to the gog installer and clicked on it, i was very surprised to see it opened the installer like it used to in Windows. After i installed the game a desktop shortcut got added, clicked on it and woah it's really working and running perfectly without fps drops.

Edit: After rebooting the game the game cursor refused to work, to fix this go to the game settings in lutris -> Configure and go to the Runners tab. Scroll down and tick Windowed (virtual desktop). When you run the game now it is in windowed mode but the mouse in game does work!.

Edit 2: Before you run games in lutris, make sure you installed the runner lutris-fshack-6.14-3-x86_64. When you add games make sure the game will use this. If you do not select the runner by default lutris is using the stock runner that does not support much games. You run into issues as what i described as the first edit above or games that do not run at all (like i had with Cyberpunk 2077).

Back to Star Trek Elite Force II, if you want to change your resolution you have to go to \Elite2\base**"your Username".cfg** and change the lines in the cvars section.

seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customwidth "3840"
seta r_customheight "2160"

Optional: for higher FOV

seta userFov "100"

In game shots:

Thanks alot for all these nice features added in Zorin OS 16! This is very handy for users that came from Windows

4 Likes

Oh my gosh, you are after my own heart! You do realize that Star Trek Voyager Elite Force was one of my most favorite games of that time period. At the time, I just had a PIII computer, and hadn't built my P4 machine yet.

And this was one of the games that made me upgrade to a P4 2GHZ CPU with 2GB RAM, and if I recall correctly, I was using a Gforce 4200 TI GPU. And I think I upgraded from a 20GB drive to a 80GB drive.

Oh man, the mid 90's to early 2000's had some really interesting and fun games to play. And there are certain old games that are locked so strongly in my heart, that I never gt tired of them, like Doom for example.

Hmm, I know this workstation computer can't really play any serious games with Intel integrated HD graphics, but I wonder if I can get it to play original Doom. That just might be my next test, lets push it a little more, for SCIENCE!!! HAHA :grin:

Such a great post dude. I really love it when people share their love for Zorin OS, and I especially love it when its coming from gamers like yourself, who even take the time to post wonderful screenshots. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You want me to post Star Trek Voyager Elite Force 1 pictures as well ??? cause i have that one too :sunglasses:. Yeah i was talking to my wife today about games i played in the past. I told her the best games for me was between 1998-2005, yeah sure some good games got released after that but those years where golden.

Call of Duty
Mortyr
Wolfenstein 3D
Starship Troopers Terran Ascendancy
Doom 3D
Doom II
Need for Speed 2
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Midtown Madness
Midtown Madness 2
Cannon Fodder (Amiga A500)
Cannon Fodder 2 (Amiga A500)
Medal of Honor
Duke Nukem 3D
Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
Star Trek Elite Force 2
Star Trek Starfleet Command 3
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2
Star Wars Republic Commando
Star Wars Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight
Star Wars Jedi Knight Mystery of the Sith
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy
Commandos Behind Enemy Lines
Commandos Beyond the Call of Duty
Commandos 2
Commandos 3 Destination Berlin
Commandos Strike Force
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect Andromeda
Mass Effect Legendary Edition

And so many more....

2 Likes

Of course you did, I wouldn't expect nothing less from a true gamer such as yourself! HEHE. And yes you may post more excellent screenshots. But please note, I have burned the midnight oil beyond the standard of what is considered normal.

If I don't get sleep soon, I am going to burn the muscle out from my fat, or is it the other way around? HAHA.

So I will check out your next set of screenshots after I get some sleep. Then I will install Steam on this computer, then install The Ultimate Doom, and we will see if I can make this computer croak, for science!

1 Like

Hehehe good night my friend :slight_smile:

4K resolution shots:

2 Likes

Awesome screenshots dude! Got to love old times with high res graphics hehe.

So bad news, I tried to launch classic Doom on Steam with this old notebook, and it couldn't even do that. Something about Intel's integrated graphics just prevents any 3D game from being played, regardless of how old it is.

Classic Doom ran on computers that were 33MHZ to 100MHZ at the time, so clearly its not the CPU itself that is holding the game back from launching, its lack of a 3D accelerator lol. Oh well, it was a nice try anyways.

Thanks for sharing your awesome gaming experience with us on Zorin OS 16!

1 Like

Did you try to enable protondb ? doom should work on your machine, even without 3D accelerator.

The game really runs great on linux. I know it's old but i expected fps drops and slow downs because it's running on lutris/wine.

1 Like

Yes, I did engage Proton, tried multiple versions, couldn't get the game to launch, I was getting a Unity error with the Cacodemon icon. Its ok, this is not a gaming machine, its a workstation, and a low end one at that lol.

If you would like to have a look at my new gaming machine I bought this year.
MSI GE76-231 Raider

I really love that picture of Voyager in space dock!

Welcome to Voyager:

Intrepid class. Sustainable cruise velocity of warp factor 9.975. (But brace yourself, Tom will break the warp 10 threshald and make lizard babies with Janeway) 15 decks. Crew complement of one hundred and forty one. Bio-neural circuitry.

And if you think thats impressive, just wait till we activate the EMH! Robbert Pircardo will have you all back on your feet and out the door, as he is the embodiment of modern medicine. If only people would remember to turn him off when they leave.

Ohhhh, and one more thing about the new fancy bio nero circutry. Yeah, you may not want to bring any cheese onboard the ship.

1 Like

That's a awesome machine! wish i had that one haha

Thanks! My MSI really whips that lama's baaaaahhhhhhsssss......From every direction! :rofl:

I played that game too in the past. I had maybe a dozen or so Star Trek games.

Also had a bunch of the playmates ships and gadgets too. Lol.

Well today i installed Cyberpunk 2077 for the second time, the first time i got it installed but for some reasons my config didn't work. So i decided to use Cyberpunk 2077 installation from Lutris, that one asks for the gog exe so it will do everything for you...guess what...it worked! even my PS4 controller is reconized by Zorin OS 16.

1 Like

Hey, look at that, the most popular game of 2020, also known as a buggy game, even on Windows! So the fact that you were able to get it to run on Linux is amazing! Looks good too! Also that guy who has the lady tatooed on his arm, I am pretty sure he's strung out. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

It gets better, i installed Mass Effect Legendary Edition in Lutris as well. Runs very good except i don't get any audio sound in Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2 does have sounds and i did not test 3 yet but i assume it has too.

Edit: Sound fix for Mass Effect 1 -> Awesome work with zorin os 16! - #20 by Michel

Mass Effect:

Mass Effect 2:

Mass Effect 3:

Prepare ship..............For ludicriss speed!

1 Like

I am really surprised by it's speed / fps ... the games almost runs as great as in windows. In Lutris i use runner lutris-fshack-6.14-3-x86_64

Yep!

One of the things that I've noticed about gaming on Linux, is that while some games have a lower FPS on Linux, some other games will have higher FPS on Linux. It really depends on the game honestly.

It also depends on PROTON, and how much gaming stuff is integrated in Linux, for example, direct X protocols. Another example, DLSS support has been non existent in Linux for the longest time.

However, I have heard that DLSS support has recently been brought to Linux for Nvidia GPU owners. I am really hoping this is true, so that the games on Linux can take advantage of it.

So far, games like, Shadow Of The Tomb Raider, Control, and Metro Exodus, are not allowing me to enable DLSS. Also RTX isn't available to me either, even though I obviously have a GPU capable of pushing RTX shaders, its a 3080 for crying out loud!

So I am still waiting for gaming in Linux to get a little bit better, so as to take full advantage of my GPU's abilities. But you are correct, gaming is getting better for sure. And I am glad that you are having such a positive experience with gaming on Zorin OS 16!

1 Like

I checked those out, they were interesting reads. Sounds like its been implemented in BETA for right now. But I am not one to test the waters and break things in the process if I am NOT trying to do science.

So having said that, I just gotta be patient a little longer, until they release it with Nvidia driver support, and PROTON. Ohhhhhh, its gonna be great. Oh heck, I feel like singing......

Kiss a whookie, kick a droid. Fly the Falcon, through an astaroid. Till the princess is annoyed. Its space ships, its monsters, its Star Wars, we love it!

OK I'll stop now...... :stuck_out_tongue:

Got the sound fixed in Mass Effect 1

/home/user/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Mass Effect/Binaries/OpenAL32.dll

Rename the OpenAL32.dll to OpenAL323.dll