Backlight Support for 2012 MacBook Pro 15 inch?

I have 3 2012 macbooks running Zorin 16.3 Core. On the two 13 inch ones, everything works fine, but on the 15" (same year, same generation "mid-2012") the brightness keys do not work. Inside /sys/class/backlight/ on the 13", there is "nv_backlight", for the nouveau driver backlight control. Is there some way i can literally just copy or recreate the contents of that directory on the 15" macbook?

I have tried editing /etc/default/grub/, and i have tried switching drivers around. I really want actual backlight control (software workarounds just mess with the color value).

Have you tried OpenRGB? It's the Software store.

I want to actually affect the backlight brightness, for battery and eye strain reasons. I will try that out if i decide to just give up on this though. I just can't understand why it works right out of the box on the 13" ones but not on the 15".

Have you yet tested the grub parameter acpi_backlight=vendor?

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"

Tap ctrl+o to overwrite, enter to save current configuration, ctrl+x to exit the editor.
Run

sudo update-grub

Reboot and test functionality.

Yeah, I've tried just about everything that comes up from a quick google search for "ZorinOS 2012 macbook no backlight" "ubuntu laptop no backlight" etc.,
No results so far. Someone said

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.modeset=1 acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi="

but i think that was specific to different hardware. Nouveau backlight controller should work, it just isn't being applied.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.