Battery Remaning Percentage Quirk

On Zorin OS 16.3 Lite, the denominator in the "percent battery remaining" is the designed capacity of the battery when it was new and not the capacity as it exists today.

I've refurbed a 2013 Macbook Air and it's lost battery capacity over time. The intuitive "percent battery remaining" would be using the fully charged capacity of the battery as it exists today as the denominator. It's how stock Ubuntu+Gnome calculated remaining battery when I test drove that distro on the Macbook Air.

Screenshot_2023-09-18_21-06-24

The most important piece of data to me is the time remaining, so this isn't even really an inconvenience. Just thought it was worth mentioning :slight_smile:

On the whole, I test drove 3 other distros before deciding to settle on Zorin OS Lite. Very happy with it. Ubuntu+Gnome+Wayland was the best experience, but the battery life and overheating was a deal breaker. Two quirks to using Zorin OS Lite on a 2013 Macbook Air are to use Compton for X11 to fix the screen tearing and two-finger-scrolling required "sudo apt remove xserver-xorg-input-synaptics" to work with my preferred "reverse scroll direction" across all windows. Haven't figured out the webcam yet, but that's not a priority really to fix.

That's interesting... One of my laptops ran Zorin 16 lite for around 2 months and the percentage showed from 0 to 100% on its degraded battery... I'm guessing it has something to do with how xfce handles battery on Macbook's specifically? Either ways, I find it kinda weird

You may need to calibrate the battery.

1 Like

Have had to do that a few times - even booted my Win partition and ran a battery check; came out fine.

But, I do experience the battery capacity jumping around on me. From ~60% back up to 80% after letting it die and charging without interruption. That's an important piece, or it might not work well. Same kind of concept for phone batteries too! My phones monster 8580mAh battery has to have this done sometimes haha usually if it doesn't last 5-6 days, it's time :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.