Before I dualboot Zorin or any other Linux distro

So shrink C:\ Drive size & disable the item which states against the hard drive to enable 'sleep' - turn it off to 'never'. I am not quite sure what you mean by switching to 'never' for enabling 'sleep'.

For Disk Management, you are saying it is best to delete the partitions that store the recovery media or factory reset?

Lastly I will read the unofficial manual and learn where I need to receive learning

Both operating systems, but Windows, as does Linux, has its own Administrator/Root account.

1 Like

I will have to look at my VM of Windows 8.1 Pro and take some screenshots to be more clear. The never bit means never enable sleep.

I would leave the factory reset if at some point in the future you wanted to sell the device and make recovery media before destroying the media creation partition.

Rootkits are malware that take over your system and are cross-platform nasties that are crafted to attack and control the target system whether it be Windows, Mac, or GNU/Linux. (GNU is the operating system created by Richard Stallman, and Linux is the kernel, written by Linus Torvalds to enable GNU to run - GNU is a mnemonic for GNU is Not UNIX).

My Bad wording. Clam AV scans for PUA's and reports back tons of false negatives so turn that search function off.

The firewall that Zorin uses is implemented across most distros, by default Gnome DE as it is calked GUFW (Gnome Uncomplicated Fire Wall). You could go one step further if desktop and add a second network card to run IP Fire, or buy a cheap refurbished Dell desktop off eBay with Firewall builtin and route all traffic via the separate Device. I run Devuan with KDE and run GUFW.

In terms of Flatpak and Snapd, you will see some posts on here which prevent the apps getting updated, it often means going back to the source of the app to get updates where as everything installed via apt gets updated through the command line or via the update option in Synaptic.

1 Like

That'll be helpful. I'll find time and check it out

I intend to have 2 flash drives to have both Windows 10 Installation Media and HP cloud recovery tool so in the worst case scenario, i reset everything.

What does adding IP fire do to bolster the firewall?

I am aware of ClamAV as anti-malware so it may be a consideration

Will come back to this once i read the unofficial doc and also this

Clam AV is Anti-Virus not anti-malware with the exception of the android anti-malware program hypatia which uses the clam av engine.

It is a hardware firewall.

What is the difference between malware and virus in this context?