Big problems with ProtonVPN

Hi,

I ran into big connectivity issues with ProtonVPN which forced me to reinstall ZorinOS. I followed the installation instructions to the letter and the service worked fine for half an hour. Then after a suspension and a couple of restarts I lost all connectivity and I have not been able to re-establish it.
I tried to uninstall ProtonVPN from the terminal with the instructions using the Smartphone and succeeded, but there was nothing to do ... I would be tempted to try again to install ProtonVPN as it worked fine for a while, but I'm afraid to run into the same problems. Connectivity from the "cable network settings" seemed fine.
This is how the network settings looked ... like now after reinstallation.

Everything seemed normal, but the connection was non-existent ...
Anyone can give me some advice?

Thank you!

1 Like

https://forum.zorin.com/t/unable-to-access-internet-after-using-protonvpn/2142

1 Like

I also had problems with installing ProtonVPN as it seems so did other people ..... please click on the magnifying glass and type ProtonVPN ...... here is just a sample of what you will find ....

Aug '21 - ...did a fresh install of Zorin OS, loving it so far. With a bit of teeth-pulling I managed to get the ProtonVPN CLI installed, and its working BUT I have noticed whenever I run sudo-apt get update, I get the fol...](ProtonVPN working - but with issue)

• [Big problems with ProtonVPNGeneral Help

zorin-os-16
1h - Hi, I ran into big connectivity issues with ProtonVPN which forced me to reinstall ZorinOS. I followed the installation instructions to the letter and th...](Big problems with ProtonVPN)

zorin-os-16
](Software App items not loading nor updating)

3 Likes

I reinstalled ProtonVPN on the fresh Zorin OS16 installation. For the moment everything works fine ... I inquired and found that the VPN has some bugs that can totally break the connection, but there is a command that is used in these cases to reestablish it.
This is protonvpn-cli ks --off and according to the information it works.
I'll be monitoring and letting you know.

Thank you.

3 Likes

I had more or less the same problem, multiple times.

When I use ProtonVPN with the KillSwitch function on and I switch off the computer without disconnecting the VPN, my internet connection will be gone for good. The problem seems to be a misconfiguration in the DNS, which cannot be fixed by changing the DNS settings in the network configuration tabs. I tried to figure it out in all kinds of config files, but I'm not experienced enough with Linux to fix it persistently. I guess the command mentioned by @diefis is likely to help, though.

Only thing that prevented me from re-installing a second time (didn't know about that cli command) was a system restore with TimeShift.

The phenomenon doesn't occur on my Windows machines or Android. I reported it to Proton.

1 Like

you know, @diefis, watching your screenshot MADE ME SOOOO HAPPY of seeing that another italian is on the forum! HEHE

2 Likes

Marked solution. 223

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.