Blue tooth adapter not recognised -Zorin 15.3

It is worth trying, yes.

You Can install higher than 5.11. Just not directly from the Zorin Bionic repo.

Zorin 16 is on 5.16.0-69

It may work. Reboot and hold shift so you can choose the advanced menu at grub, then select a previous kernel for boot. If it works we can make it permanent.

Upgrading to zorin 16 may resolve this issue without kernel customization.

Hiya @337harvey , long time no hear from.
That was my first idea, but then, does that not auto update very time Zorin updates?

First you confirm that it works. Then you can use apt-mark hold [package-name] to keep it from updating.

OK guys;
thx for that @337harvey turns out to me a moot point.

@Aravisian seems I jumped from 5.4 to 5.11- switching back to 5.4 of course, kills the AX210 card~

Can I share your banging wall?

While in the 5.4, tether to your phone and install the 5.10 kernel.... then [HOW TO] set an older kernel to default boot

You can use How to upgrade Zorin 16.2 to a newer kernel to install Ubuntu mainline, then install the 5.10 kernel.

Sorry, my mind is mush - how do i get a 5.10 kernel?
I read about it the other day, but now, ??

But hang on, when I was surfing the other day for updated kernels I found reference to download linux 15.? something at least.

So, is the catch here that they only run on Ubuntu 20 plus?

would this work?
Going to take my long overdue tea break now.
No hurry to reply.

In case the information is of any use here, I am on Z15.3 Core (but 64bit not 32bit). Last kernel update I received was 5.4.0-146 on 28/03/2023.

I might be late to this thread given the activity, but I have questions if you don't mind.

• On plugin while running
    journalctl -f
    what is the output or relevant errors shown?

• have you checked to see if the driver is loaded?
    lsusb -t
    will show you what drivers(if any) are recognized and loaded into the kernel and relevant to the usb device.

• what drivers are in-kernel, are they the ones you installed?
    lsmod
    will show all drivers loaded into the kernel

• after unplug/replug share the output of:
    systemctl --failed

That was me, and it's different hardware altogether, while that driver might work, the path to resolution is unclear, meaning I feel this is a guess, unless you're seeing something I'm not linking that git repo with the specific hardware?

Thx @geekdad - yes, different hardware etc, but, what ever you throw in the air, some might just stick - meaning maybe someone can take that and go forward with it. So thanks again for your input.

Ahh @zabadabadoo, yeah, I remember, we discussed, at some length, the issue of sound in Zorin 15.3 a year or so back. Bluetooth, like the sound issue is something that has plagued Linux, or at lest Ubuntu for seemingly ever.
Then we wonder why people prefer to stick with Windows~
I mean look around, what doesn't run off bluetooth these days? Even my almost decade old Samsung note runs BT devices no hassle.
Anyway rant aside, you can enable BT?
But I guess not using an Intel AX210 card?

See the very bottom of this post:

That's the latest firmware file for the AX210. That should get bluetooth working.

I had posted a link for you to install the mainline repository and command so you can easily install the 5.10 kernel. It was How to upgrade Zorin 16.2 to a newer kernel. This should work for your version of Zorin as well. If it doesn't, we can look at adding a repo for Ubuntu 18 (zorin 15 base).

Hello, can I just clarify what Linux you are running please?
I am 18.4 Ubuntu - Zorin 15.3

I am not confident enough to be messing round with kernels from version 20. something.
Cheers

'morning @337harvey , yes, I saw that and quickly read it. I've sort of cooled on going back, given the comment that even version 5.10 was dodgy.

Now more focused on trying to find a way to go to at least version 5.12 or above. Something more definite. If we can maybe it will be beneficial for others. I mean @zabadabadoo and I can't be the only 15.3 diehards and at some point, someone might want to install an AX210 card.

@Mr_Magoo's suggestion looks promising if I could be sure it would work on 15.3 without crashing the entire system. I've played around with kernel before with disastrous results, not keen to relive that experience.

If I could share something with you that I found out recently when attempting to patch my kernel to better support fan control and thermal management, maybe it could help answer some questions or confusion I think I noticed and clear things up where kernel versions are concerned. If not, I apologize for wasting anyone's time, especially the OP. Definitely don't want to hijack anything here.

For my purposes, I was trying to find out if the 6.2.1 or 6.2.7 to which I was looking to migrate, had the patch I needed and thus farther along than the 5.15 I was on previously; at least in terms of development and hardware support.

I was confused at first when I found that the 6.2 kernel I was considering might not contain the patches or be farther along than the 5.15 kernel I was running previously, until I found this out:
What I found out is that kernel 5.15 is technically considered to be a more recent kernel version than the 6.2.1 or the 6.2.7 I'm running now. If only because the 6.# variants are still under development.

Along those lines, Linux kernel version numbering follows a system where the first digit indicates the major version, the second digit indicates the minor version, and the third digit indicates the patch level.
So in your case, 5 is the major version, 3 is the minor version, and 6.2.1 is a separate major.minor.patch release to a kernel on which it was based (like 5.15 or similar).

That said:
For hardware support in 15.3, a patch would probably be needed and that, I've also found, is a tricky and complicated process. This possibility might be further emphasized when taking into consideration your mention of appreciating the distros which use the earlier kernels. This leads me to believe you might consider entertaining the possibility of patching your kernel or installing a non-standard kernel like 6.#..., if you want to stay on the lower versions of a distro but also run a higher kernel for better hardware support using a more modern/updated WiFi card with BT capability.

You could, for instance, look into the tuxinvader ppa, or using kernel.org to find and use a v6.# kernel based on 5.3 (or even 5.10) if one even exists, which includes the driver support for your card, and install that v6.# kernel.

Hope I didn't lose anyone or goof and mess up my info. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Using the link i previously provided, you could install the 5.14 kernel or 5.15. The mainline gives you access to all available kernels and their firmware. You have to be careful the further from the latest official Zorin kernel. It may have dependencies or libraries you would have to add the next Ubuntu version repository to access.

For example, I'm running Zorin on a stable 6.2 kernel. I had to add the libc6 library from the jammy repos to run it. My first attempt failed because I didn't remove the jammy repo prior to upgrading. So I had to reinstall, restore from backup and perform the upgrade again... then removing the jammy repo. Now I'm stable with newer hardware support, a few bug fixes and optimizations that are yet not available to any of the 5.* versions. Most are not worth the risk, but would ensure your network card will work.

@ajo001, while I don't doubt your research or sources, one thing I dispute is that, though the kernel versions are based on their previous counterparts, they include newer firmware support. This provides more hardware support for newer hardware that weren't in those previous versions. It will also include bug fixes and optimizations, like the AMD processor support that was added in 5.15. Because of this, to say the hardware may not be supported is wrong. The AX210 was supported, stable, from kernel 5.14. While new optimizations may be introduced, until the end of life for that card is reached, it will be included with every kernel version. That may be quite a few revisions since network cards don't change as fast as GPUs.

1 Like