Bluetooth speaker

Hi another question :slight_smile: so is there a way to make Zorin auto connect to my bluetooth speaker when it starts up?? right now i have to click on bluetooth icon and manually connect my speaker and I have noticed my cosair mouse isnt very smooth while using Zorin any ideas about that one

Please open a terminal and enter in

bluetoothctl

Look for your speaker in the output

To connect after the bluetooth manager prompt, type in

connect

with the device I.D. listed in the output you get above.

Now, all you need is an autostart for the above. You can create a desktop entry to do that.
It must contain:
echo "connect (YOUR DEVICE NAME)" | bluetoothctl

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/bin/bash /home/(YOURDESKTOP NAME)/bin/btautoconnect.sh
Hidden=false
NoDisplay=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name=BTAutoConnect
X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=5
Comment=Starts Bluetooth speaker

This will reference this bash script- Place it in your home folder ~/bin named btautoconnect.sh

!/bin/bash

sudo systemctl start bluetooth

sleep 1

echo “connect (YOUR DEVICE NAME)” | bluetoothctl

3 Likes

do I put this echo “connect (YOUR DEVICE NAME)” | bluetoothctl at the end of the desktop entry?

Sorry, I edited the above.

thank you

Please excuse this question from a Linux neophyte.

When I follow your instructions for connecting my device, I get a "Too many arguments" response. Not being clear on whether I'm supposed to enter the entire string of letters and numbers plus the device name, I did that first and got "Too many arguments 4 > 1". Entering just the name of the device generates "Too many arguments 2 > 1".

What does that mean?

Usually it means no quotes ( " " ) or misplaced quotes.

Screenshot from 2020-12-23 08-34-04

I’m sure my error will be obvious to you, but I just don’t see it.

Sadly, no... It is not obvious to me, either. Pulseaudio and blueman are absolutely Notorious on all Ubuntu derivatives. So, it gets even more fun when you are trying to connect bluetooth speakers with the pulseaudio bluetooth module.
Although watching your system argue with itself "Connected: No - Connected: Yes - Connected: No" is almost comical; the ghost in the machine doesn't know either... It may be the first hint.
Try trusting the mouse I.D. first

bluetoothctl

trust F4 :4E :FD :2E :83 :AB

Then pair

pair F4 :4E :FD :2E :83 :AB

Connect

connect F4 :4E :FD :2E :83 :AB

And relay the results to the this thread.

Screenshot from 2020-12-23 14-48-25

Hmm it says it is already paired? Have you tried unpairing and then pairing it again now that the trust level has been set?

Somewhere amidst the trial solutions, magic powders and incantations, there was born the understanding that having bluetooth on my PC is not really worth the bother.

I looked around and the sun was out, birds were singing and - the battle being done - a feeling of calm engulfed my mind.

Yes, Blueman, you have won the day. Enjoy the victor’s spoils.

1 Like

LOL I understand that feeling 100%. In fact that is often how I view blueman.
I felt the need to respond to you as you had addressed me personally and that my earlier post to another was unhelpful. Apparently, it still was unhelpful.
I am sorry I could not help you out… But at least the birds were singing.

A post was split to a new topic: Bluetooth speaker connection