Brother Printer And CUPS

CUPS has once again taken over the printing on my Brother Printer ..... I just installed the Brother Drivers the other day and it was working fine but today I checked and CUPS has again chosen to use its own server instead of the Device URI chosen by the Brother Driver .....

CUPS doesn't even list my printer in it's data base but still I'm expected to use it ..... everything I have read says that using CUPS is mandatory for printing with Ubuntu (Zorin) ....

Unless someone has a suggestion I'm going back to Win 10 to do all my printing .... I'm tired of all this running around try to scab something together ....

I have a post on here about what I did to fix the problem if anyone wants to read it .....

1 Like

I am no expert on Printers, but as I understand it, it is not Ubuntu that requires CUPS, but Brother. The Brother Drivers defer to CUPS which enabled Brother to "patch" their Linux releases to only include what CUPS doesn't. Which is an iffy way of doing it.
If there is any bug in the Brother Drivers, it means that CUPS will be the fallback.
But without CUPS, the Brother drivers won't work at all since that would be an incomplete set of drivers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.