Calendar in task bar

There is a calendar in the task bar along with the date, time and weather. How do you populate this calendar (which calendar does it refer to?)

1 Like

It refers to the default calendar that comes with Zorin OS Core. You can open it by just typing "calendar" in the search box in the zorin menu and opening calendar.

I don't really get what you mean. By the word "populate", if you mean to add events and such, you can add them by adding them in the calendar app. After adding the events to the date you wish, a dot (•) will appear below the dates you have added an event. And the if you press it, it will display the event below the calendar

2 Likes

By default it mirrors the calendar from evolution (and is linked to the calendar app as I just see @Jeslin says). Obviously, you can sync your online calendars to it using those applications.

2 Likes

Default Calander

1 Like

Thank you all. I was going to use Thunderbird but it seems I will need to use Evolution instead as there is no point in having the calendar empty in the task bar - unless there is a way to customise what is shown in the task bar with the date and time?

1 Like

If you prefer using Thunderbird for E-Mail, go for it and simply use the calendar app to populate the task bar calendar.
Should you want to use the Lightning calendar add-on, maybe the effort of dabbling a bit is worth it. This link for example describes a somewhat crude workaround (haven't tried such, so do it at your own risk!). If you're syncing your calendar online anyways, simply sync it to both Thunderbird/Lightning and the calendar app - done.

While I'm rather happy with Evolution so far, I think going the extra mile to work with the application you prefer (or simply are used to) might well be worth going the extra mile once whilst setting up your computer. :wink:

1 Like

I am not exactly sure how I did it or if by default it works this way. But the native Zorin calendar picks up all the events from my iPhone iCalendar and vice versa. It was a very pleasant surprise for me.

I am trying to think what it is I must have done that connects the two ecosystems. It is probably obvious to everyone. But not to this Linux newbie who apparently lucked out. Anyway my point is it can integrate very nicely with iOS.

1 Like

@elzoro Yes I'm happy with Evolution as well... of course I'm a hot week or so into the OS and final got Zorin 16 rolling :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Agreed that what makes YOU comfortable is the way to go.

3 Likes

By default, without you doing anything (ie. providing account data and a password), nothing can be "connected" - or at least shouldn't on account of such behavior being highly suspicious. :wink:

I would assume you've added your iCloud account under "Online accounts" in the Settings app (or via Evolution, e.g. when setting it up for e-mail). Basically, that is syncing the calendar (and potentially other data, depending on your specific configuration). Oviously, this can only work on the basis of your iPhone calendar being synced to iCloud in the first place (rather than storing data locally on your phone only).
Hope this clears things up a bit for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes