Can we get Fast boot Feature on Zorin OS

i have noticed that windows OS Boots faster than zorin OS and found the reason it uses the Fast Boot feature and locks the hardrive to reduce boot time. Is there any software for zorin/ubuntu operating sytems that can speed up the boot up time like preload does with aplications?

6 Likes

Locking the hard drive is invasive and it also locks out the very user who is supposed to access it.
Sure a little speedier boot up time may seem nice, but at what cost?
Users must carefully weigh these costs.
Especially when the gain... A slightly faster boot time, would seem to be a Pyrrhic victory.
I am far more concerned about performance during use than in reclaiming a mere 30 seconds of Boot Up time.

6 Likes

aka "Good things come to those that wait!"

2 Likes

Not what I know. But if you really want to speed things up, Switch your HDD out with a SSD. Also instead of turn your computer off, make it go in hibernation instead.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Windows can reduce boot time in a variety of ways, but these have costs and risks, such as requiring CPU specs or causing glitches. Since hardware is also involved in this issue, I would be cautious.

4 Likes

We should keep one thing in mind and that is...those computers which support Fast Boot are made with Windows in mind. Therefore, hardware issues might not be a very accurate reason for not supporting Fast Boot in Linux distributions. In fact I don't really see any reason to not support this...I remember having a "save session" feature in kubuntu but I don't think that it was the same as Fast Startup of Windows. It would just remember and load back the things from the last session. Fast Startup in windows is different. It does not stop the services running in the background...Instead they are just frozen and same is done to the hard drive.

Just a question:
What do you mean by this?

Doesn't a normal shut down do this also?

2 Likes

Only if by this you mean that the Hard Drive is off...

Windows Fast Startup or Fast boot locks the hard drive, from all access except for Windows startup procedure.
Locking is necessary to prevent read / write access, since the Fast Startup is similar to Hibernate.

4 Likes

So it would be a problem for dual booters is what you mean...

Then I don't see any reason to not implement this feature in Zorin OS. It would be a nice addition and might be a start to something bigger.

2 Likes

It is a problem for any person that needs to access or startup their drive without following the full boot-up procedure.
Whether it be for installing another OS to dual boot, access your files, recovery, make a recovery, transfer files...
This is why many people disable it on Windows. And lose what... Twenty seconds of boot time?

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.