Can Zorin OS become a stand-alone distro or change its "parent"?

That is a fedora issue - even long-time users of Fedora complained (Workstation 30 up) of no app installer. This is where Synaptic is superior in so many ways!
You tend to get a feel with different OS's and I cannot stand Fedora, period! Perhaps because it is too tied to RedHat, but I should really say IBM as they now own RedHat. And yes I know Fedora is a community (unofficial) project!

1 Like

yeah, I see that now. the reason why I mentioned fedora is the update. updating between versions is like a normal update, but it looks like a windows update. which is not a bad thing if you update between major versions

Yes and no. I was reading on their forum a few days ago they are not allowed to sell fedoras as part of their merchandasing. Believe it or not that's because RH forbidden it.

So yes, they're very tied to RH if RH can forbid something like that.

So no, they're not so tied if RH don't want the two projects to be associated.

It's even easier with Silverblue. That's what I did when I upgraded from 34 to 35:

rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/35/x86_64/silverblue

That's it, when the command finishes you have 35 on Grub entry 0 and 34 on Grub entry 1. You can also pin the old version if things go wrong with the new.

Having say that, I still believe Ubuntu is the best starting point for Zorin devs. They've made a masterpiece out of it and I don't see a good reason for such a big change. Long term support, apt and .deb, Nvidia working out of the box and a few other things still make a difference.

1 Like

Zorin has Flathub pre-added
Fedora does not, they have their own Flatpak repository with their own checked applications

if you'd like to add Flathub, check Flathub.org's quick start guide for Fedora

1 Like

It is an interesting question. I've noticed that Linux Mint have a Debian-based version (LMDE) which they maintain alongside the main Ubuntu-based distro as a contingency in case of Ubuntu no longer being available. Apparently uses the same Cinnamon DE. Been meaning to try it on an older laptop out of curiosity. But that would be an awful lot of work for a team as small as Zorin's.

it is true that Mint has a version of their OS based on Debian, with all the same desktops and preinstalled packages, features etc. other than the Ubuntu features of course

Yes, it's Linux Mint LMDE . I have it installed on a virtual and it's pretty good... I haven't had any issues with it and they just put out an update to it a couple weeks ago now.

This is something that has been discussed previously on here about Zorin, leaving Ubuntu. I mean there really is no reason for distro's to be based on it IMO

There used to be. Canonical used to provide specific patches and additions / tweaks to the Kernel that were very useful and helpful.
These days, however... It seems less so. Ubuntus repos have become cluttered and the kernels seem to appear with new regressions with each update.

And the regressions are particularly dumbfounding. A regression means that a driver was removed. Why? Why release the next version of the kernel with some drivers missing?
Drivers that users need? The drivers then appear back in the kernel in the next release... Which means...

• Someone on the kernel team Removed A Driver.
  • Bug reports were filed due to hardware being unsupported due to missing driver
  • Someone on the kernel team put the driver back in.

It boggles the mind and could easily lead even a rational person to vaguely wonder conspiracy claims about sabotage within the Kernel Dev team.
It's so useless.
And this is happening at Canonical, not at Debian or at the Mainline Kernel (Torvalds). So it's double-dumbfounding.

1 Like

I agree, for all the things you stated and more those days are now in the past.. I think it's time to move on. They had their day and squandered what they had.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.