Can Zorin replace macOS for me?

I'm not sure you're understanding. the software in the store is not there willy nilly pulling from anything all over the internet. Nor can anyone just add software to it. One of the reasons some of it is "behind" or "outdated" if you will is because the developers over at Ubuntu test it first against the current version. So yes Ubuntu is paying people to look over the software. You can add software from anywhere on the internet but this holds true for Windows and Mac as well by going directly to the websites, but you can't just add software to the store.

I don't use the store, I use Synaptic to install software or I grab deb files direct. But when you use the store and actually click on the software it does tell you where it is coming from. This is no different than how it is on Windows. I don't know about Mac since I don't use it. You just have to take 10 seconds to click on whatever it is you may like and read. The info is there as to version, where it comes from, and what it is. BTW, from what I know that is also where the star ratings will be. So in order to see the star rating, you're going to have to click on it as you do now where you can already see the things you mentioned you're looking for that are already there. So aside of the stranger on the internet star rating, everything you just mentioned is already there.

And not sure once again how a star rating from strangers on the internet you don't know, makes any decision good or bad. You have no idea if someone with bad software just got people to like their software. But as I said, if that's your thing and you make all of your decisions based on strangers,go for it. Rate away.... but it doesn't make it good.

As for the rest I think @Aravisian can speak on that the best. I would prefer that Linux in general not follow what Apple has done on Mac. I already don't like their UI but if I wanted a Mac experience I would just buy one.

Hardly. Linux already has FOSS and the Gnu General license. It already exists. Those who wish to deviate from it or detract from it are forcing their views onto Linux. Those that defend it are enforcing the standard that is established.

Sure.
I pointed out in another thread:

This is made easy for Microsoft by the very mentality - that exists and is strong - I point out above.
Much like "Don't Look Up", you can easily sway people from clear and well outlined warnings.

I could point out your Self-Awareness about your perceptions of ideas different from yours just as easily. (I didn't and wouldn't. Just saying that by your logic, it would be just as applicable.)

Those of us that Defend FOSS and Linux from the multi-prong attack of removing the Security, Privacy and User Control often do have a hard time of it. Because when we point out the realities of human nature, it invariably brings personal attacks such as yours, as you try to shift the goal posts with red herrings. It looks clever, but actually means nothing. And I have gotten used to it. You will find I am not easily brow-beaten by such things.

So, I would suggest you stick to arguing the Merit of Ideas, instead of making personal attacks.

1 Like

/me taking the police cap on

Please all who like a good debate keep it clean. No argumentum ad hominem. Go for the ball not the person.

1 Like

To define (for the Curious):

An ad hominem attack is one in which the poster questions or attacks the character of the poster which they are debating with.
For example:
Suggesting that their arguments are flawed because they personally lack self awareness is an Ad Hominem attack.

It is not an ad hominem attack to discuss how a populace, society or humans in general move - as you are not attacking the personal character of the person you are arguing with.
For example:
Many people will not move to Linux because in general, people dislike change and will resist it. < This is not an ad hom.

This thread is spiraling in a direction i did not intend it to :slight_smile: and thats a bit of a shame because all parties have valid points.

In the meantime, im still looking for something to replace om ifocus with, Gettings things GNOME is not the right program for me. So if anyone knows.. :wink:

I think it's better if you starts a new thread regarding that issue. I'm afraid that your current thread is/was drowning in skull bashing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did you try Focalboard?

Not sure it's exactly what you looking for, but worth a shot :slight_smile:

Star ratings on Software Store can be problematic where the same app is duplicated. I have seen more stars for Snap version than apt version, probably only because Snap version is more recent. If you want apt's from Store, then you have to use detective skills and read the small print.
(This assumes you have not banished Snap's and Flatpaks)

1 Like

Thank you for that, just gives me one more reason to ignore them. :smiley:

Having to read is something that I doubt will happen...... :rofl:

I don't use the store, I used it just to install Synaptic. If I did though, I would banish all snaps and flatpaks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.