Cannot boot from DVD

I am attempting to install Zorin OS 15.3 Lite on a Toshiba Satellite M45-5331 laptop. It has 512 MB RAM (exapandable to 2 GB) and a Pentium M 730 (1.6 GHz 2MB L2 cache). I am able to boot 32 bit Linux distributions on a CD, and I successfully installed Q4OS which is small enough to fit on a CD. After I boot into Q4OS I can read the Zorin DVD. I can boot from the Zorin DVD on other computers.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

Is it possible to get Zorin split between CDs, say with the core system and utilities on one disk and the remaining software on either additional CDs or a DVD?

Does the DVD have the 32 bit version of Lite?
I’m guessing you’re pushing the limit on the requirements https://zorinos.com/help/system-requirements/ since Lite has a min of 512 MB.

I found spec for that laptop here:

Note this thread here Launching live too slow from DVD boot

After some attempts it was concluded that Zorin Lite may be too much for 512 MB RAM.

1 Like

This site shows the Pentium M 730 as a 32bit processor and so it wouldn’t run a 64 bit OS.

@jgordon Note: The OP states he is installing 15.3 Lite, which unless I am mistaken, is still available as 32bit. But the OP has not yet confirmed he has 32bit version on DVD.

My comment was to point out that the processor is a 32 bit processor and so if he was trying to install a 64 bit Linux distribution then it would fail. Even though he could read the DVD.

1 Like