Last time i used zorinit was not installed

1 Like

Got this output:

bcmwl, 6.30.223.271+bdcom, 5.11.0-36-generic, x86_64: installed
bcmwl, 6.30.223.271+bdcom, 5.11.0-37-generic, x86_64: installed
virtualbox, 6.1.26, 5.11.0-37-generic, x86_64: installed

Seems nothing for NVidia.

1 Like

For clarity, this applies if you install drivers from Nvidia- and not always then.
Any Nvidia (or Wifi) drivers that are supported within Ubuntu Main will update along with other updates.

You need DKMS for when drivers are not included in the Main Repository and were manually installed.

Well that didn't last long. Open source driver crashed my machine and upon reboot all I get is a nasty flicker. Going back to the Nvidia driver causes the resolution to be downgraded. I'll have to look up the instructions for dkms.

Does this include proprietary driver I installed from "Additional Driver"?

Yes, as those are included in Ubuntu-Drivers, which is in Main Repo. This is how you are able to see them in Jockey app (a.k.a. Additional Drivers).

But if you go to Nvidia Site and download drivers, then install them on Zorin, they may be different drivers than what is included in the Ubuntu repository and during a kernel Update, not have the proper module. This would need to be patched or- reinstalled... Which DKMS does the patching for you.

1 Like

Hmmm weird that i did not had dkms installed back then. Thats why i assumed it was not pre installed in zorin

Thanks for the explanation.
I now remember that I had to add DKMS when I installed WiFi module driver from source code if I want to keep on using this driver after each kernel update.

I've never needed to myself... But I have had to walk a lot of people through it on these forums, usually for Wifi, not Nvidia.

1 Like

Well, with my current collection of USB WiFi, I will never have to do that :wink:

1 Like

I think your method really is the better way to go, then trying to chase after drivers.
The hard part is that a newcomer to Linux is not happy to hear that they must go and buy a wifi adapter...

1 Like

Nagging wives on their back?
Well, that is NOT a problem in our household :crazy_face:

I think if you install a driver from "Additional Driver", this dkms is not required.

I just tried installing DKMS and it said t was already installed. Guess that is not the issue then.

I've never done this in Zorin, but when I was a Mint user, I remember solving a NVidia related issue by purging Nvidia drivers completely then reinstalling them (after switching to Nouveau driver temporally).

@Aravisian has to confirm this as I do not know if it is applicable to Zorin.
But my memo says:

sudo apt purge nvidia*
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

1 Like

I can confirm it. As can @StarTreker or @Michel

2 Likes

Of course those commands will work. But I have a working system already, and won't be running those commands to break it.

Those commands will fix an already broken system. Additionally, if you purge the Nvidia drivers and want a specific Nvidia driver re-installed, you can run this command.

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-470
1 Like

I have one model from Cisco USB but some models working some not. I checked example NAS synology what are unix operative system. Then I know they also working on Linux.

If you can remove the HDD from the enclosure, you can make OpenMediaVault with inexpensive SOC + external HDD box. My home made NAS with IntelCompute stick:

1 Like

Hello Kitty Sticker gets instant approval! Also, if you take a close look at that sticker, thats a classy pose, like Royalty like pose. lol

1 Like