Can't boot into Zorin17 after failed Kernel update on dual boot macbookpro14,1

Dear all,

I have a MacbookPro 14,1 with dual boot Mac OSX/ Zorin 17 without REFInd. Because of Apple hardware, I have to manually install some patch driver after each Kernel update to get sound, webcam and microphone working (GitHub - Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux: State of Linux on the MacBook Pro 2016 & 2017). I was recently playing with DKMS in order to automatically apply these patches after each kernel driver.
The latest kernel update seems to have failed and now I cannot boot into Zorin 17 anymore (please see attached screenshot).
I suspect this has something to do with DKMS because in the past kernel updates was always be successful.
Is there any way for me to save my Zorin OS 17 or do I need to do a fresh install?
Thank you

Can you get to recovery mode to boot to the earlier kernel?

Thanks for your answer. Is it left shift key at boot to get to recovery mode? I've tried that and it doesn't work.
I can only access the grub command line when pressing esc key at reboot. Is there a way to boot an earlier kernel from there?

I followed the instructions shared here: I installed Zorin 16 Pro as my only OS and I only get a grub error when I boot up - #2 by Aravisian

I found my filesystem on (hd0,gpt5) but when I am doing the following to boot on the previous kernel

grub> set root=(hd0,gpt5)
grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-15-generic root=/dev/sda5
grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-15-generic
grub> boot

I get an error saying that /dev/sda5 doesn't exists

Can you boot with the media you used to install Zorin with and run in live mode to access GParted to follow my Tutorial/Guide here?:

Ah thanks a lot @swarfendor437. With GParted, I found that my root was called /dev/nvme0n1p5.
I've managed to boot on the oldest 6.5.0-15 kernel.
I suspect that I should now remove the driver patches that I have installed with DKMS.
Then, how can I re-install the latest kernel 6.5.0-17? I got it from Zorin software updates.

I will leave that question to @Aravisian!

You can use

sudo apt install linux-image-6.5.0-17-generic linux-headers-6.5.0-17-generic linux-modules-6.5.0-17-generic linux-modules-extra-6.5.0-17-generic

1 Like

Thanks a lot @swarfendor437 for your help, it is all sorted now and thank you @Aravisian for the information on how to reinstall the kernel.
I had to remove the DKMS drivers, I could not reinstall the kernel with these activated. I will probably report that to the driver provider GitHub. This is also what made my upgrade from Zorin 16 to 17 fail. I suppose that I will have to manually install these patch drivers after every kernel update like I used to do.