Can't boot Zorin 15.3 from usb

And we also covered that Secure Boot is not the issue and Windows 7, prior to Fast boot.
Really, these types of errors are usually fixed with fsck. This is done by booting up from the LiveCD which you cannot do, now.
With your current bootable medium… Might try with acpi off
http://ubuntuguide.net/turn-off-acpi-ubuntu-grub2

The only other things I can think of:

1. In your computer System setup (BIOS or UEFI), changing sata settings to AHCI
  2. Burning the USB bootable media as UEFI and changing BIOS/UEFI from Legacy to just UEFI.
  3. There may be a fault in the USB stick or in your computers RAM. Test RAM.

I’ll try that first. And for the rest, my sata are AHCI, I tried booting on legacy as everytime i did was on uefi mode, and my RAM was tested last week, so this is covered

1 Like

Well here, rufus lets me write in mode iso or DD, which one try, i been doing it on iso, maybe is that the origin of the issues?

No, it should be in ISO. DD is a cloning tool and it can cause problems pretty quickly if used if there is any error at all in it.
DD is often described as ‘powerful, but dangerous.’

Okey, i wrote that, now my screen remains black and no “booting” signal, no ZORIN logo, just silence broken by my fans

What was it you wrote? ACPI=off? DD?

Yes, ISO

You burned a new USB copy of Zorin OS, in ISO; it does not even boot to the error this time? Did you make any other changes?

Doing a net search, I found this:

USB host controller caveat
Some firmwares will present the USB host controller as UHCI (USB 1.1) at boot time. When Linux probes for an xHCI (USB 3) host controller during the boot process they will respond positively. At this time Linux loads the xHCI driver and the USB host controller resets itself.
However, your root filesystem is inside a device attached to this USB controller. Therefore the controller resetting means that Linux can no longer communicate with the USB-attached hard drive. Therefore the Linux boot will hang forever without any further indication as to what went wrong.
Most affected boards (including my Intel NUC) have an option to enable the xHCI host controller interface by default. Enabling the xHCI option in the BIOS fixes the hanging boot issue.

According to this, to enable xHCI:
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/virtual-edge-platform-4600-4c/bios_user_guide_pub/usb-30?guid=guid-7b659cec-f645-4529-971e-ec2cf1fd5433

To support universal serial bus (USB) 3.0 in operating systems, set the extensible host controller interface (xHCI) XHCI Hand-off option to enabled. Access this setting from the BIOS setup screen, select the Advanced tab, then select USB Configuration.

May vary by manufacturer.

xHCI is enabled by default, and EHCI disabled, should i enable it too?

I do not think that would work… You could try it if you are feeling adventurous- I could be thinking wrong.
I am at a loss. It may well be some setting - something simple - that will get this working. But I do not know what it is.
I have had the busybox error you have- but only ever on an installed copy of the OS and it is solved by loading up and running the Try Zorin on USB, then applying the fix. Usually by running fsck.

I wonder if you will have the same trouble if you try using a different Distro. For example, Linux Mint or Pop_OS or MX Linux…

Im booting right now Mint on the same usb and it says "unable to find a medium container a live file system, attempt interactive netboot from a url?
Edit: the first line of code says Initramfs unpacking failed: decoding failed

Ok, so it seems we have established with certainty that it is something particular to your computer…
As many details as you can provide will help
Year, make, model of the computer- what graphics card you have, whether the integrated or Nvidia, any upgrades you have done…

MB: Gigabyte 970a ds3p rev 2.1 (2016)
CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: GTX 1070

Idk what more could be useful to provide

Could it be that my mobo doesnt recognise newer versions of linux kernel?

GTX 1070- Nvidia... Ok, what happens if you get to the Zorin Menu "Try or install" and "Try with Safe Graphics?"

If that fails;
If you hit "exit" from the busybox error, you should be able to enter a command in the box- you might try this

sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)

Then reboot to the USB just to see what happens. I really think this has a poor chance as that is a fix for an installed OS, not for a bootable USB... But I am running (Or have run) out of ideas.

I have 3 options: “Try or install Zorin”, “Try or… (safe graphics)” and “Try or… (Nvidia graphics)”
The first and the last end in the same error
Give a minute to do that steps

I am beginning to suspect that Nvidia card. I wonder if- just for the sake of solving the mystery… Could pull that card, boot up normally on your integrated graphics card. Then shut down, insert USB and try booting up Zorin on USB then…

Im afraid that my mobo has not integrated graphics
Edit: tried “safe graphics” option with no luck. I typed that sudo line but says sh: sudo: not found

I just looked up your MB Specs. It appears to be the case... This would explain your trouble, I think.
Nomodeset will not work and Safe Graphics will not work- since no integrated graphics to fall back to.
Nvidia and Linux have a very long history of Nvidia seeming almost to deliberately sabotage Linux. I do not know much of the how or why- only that Nvidia is Notoriously troublesome.

Yes, was worth a shot- that really is an operation for a system already installed.

We gave it our all- but although not Verifiably Confirmed; I think we have narrowed it down to the Graphics card and no Integrated Graphics to operate it until the system is installed and can get the Proper Drivers to deal with Nvidia. This would explain why all fixes failed, since none deal with this issue and those that do, would need integrated GPU.
You may be left with having to get a different graphics card in order to use any Linux Distro- as you tried pretty much every other fix and other distros with the same results.

1 Like

Well, thats a shame. All my illusion to try a windows visually look alike linux distro went deep down.
I’ll try with a radeon card when i can, meanwhile i’ll have to wait

It really is. For what we both invested into trying- I was really hoping for a Last Minute Win.
By all means, please update when trying different graphics becomes feasible. My curiosity will gnaw at me.
As far as Windows look-alike goes… Chuckle… We can mod it out to look exactly like Windows -on the surface. Beneath that surface though, is a learning curve. It is not difficult, just new and unfamiliar. When ready, feel free to stop by to explore those options, too.

And for what it is worth- Very sorry that I failed to help you here.