Can't get CanvasBio fingerprint sensor to work on Samsung 950XCJ (Galaxy Book Ion) PC

Hi,

I'm running Zorin OS 16.1 Core on a VirtualBox on Windows on my Samsung 950XCJ (Galaxy Book Ion) and I want to get my fingerprint sensor working. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. I enabled it from the VirtualBox and tried the python-validity pack (returns List devices failed when I attempt to run fprintd-enroll, and when I run $ sudo systemctl status python3-validity it returns active: failed - No matching devices found (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE) so far.

Is there anything else I can do, or is there anything I can do to fix the python-validity error?

I was going to suggest Virtual Machine Manager but that is for GNU/Linux not windows and there have been some security issues facing Virtual Box recently. Why not try Zorin in live mode without installing and see if your fingerprint sensor works then?

Settings in Zorin are the same as Ubuntu.

Nothing. Since I already installed it on my VirtualBox, I did a live session from USB. Haven't tried the video yet though (Video? I meant we page). I might do that.

Uhh... That guide is telling me how to add a fingerprint. The problem is that button is not showing for me.

And I swear my fingerprint sensor works on Windows.

That is because you are using Zorin in a VM - so it is not connecting to hardware. Is the fingerprint sensor listed as a USB device in Windows by any chance? If so you would need to add USB device in VM 'Details of Machine' window.

Just ran VMM of Zorin 16 Education, launched the store and searched for Synaptic and discovered "Validity Fingerprint Sensors for Linux tools" perhaps this might be the solution?:

It's saying it's only for ThinkPad and HP laptops, so no.

Wonder if installing this package might make a difference?

The one highlighted - install via Synaptic Package Manager - if you haven't installed it do so now as it has lots of apps you don't get in Software channel.

Nope.

Strange. Installed fine on my Virtual Machine but then again I am using Virtual Machine Manager!:

See if it runs better in Virt Manager (Virtual Machine Manager):

I am using Devuan 4 and running Zorin 16 Education in Live mode - no issues.

Looks kinda risky. I'm not much of a risk taker, so I don't want to do anything that may damage my computer.

I do however have another computer running Zorin, so I might try installing it there.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.