Can't install any software

I was about to download Spotify but I get this error message : Can't install Spotify: Can't create temporary directory"

Anyone know how to fix this?

I don't know the flatpak error you get, but spotify runs much quicker with their PPA/.deb without running in sandbox;

curl -sS https://download.spotify.com/debian/pubkey_0D811D58.gpg | sudo apt-key add - 
echo "deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install spotify-client

I know I can install as Terminal, but I can't either update from software too

What does it say;

sudo apt update

It's Norwegian but I can translate for you

1 pakke kan oppgraderes. Kjør 'apt list --upgradable' for å se den.
1 package can upgrade, run 'apt list --upgradeable' to see it.

I understand what it says, I'm from Denmark :wink:

Next;

sudo apt upgrade
1 Like

Ah. So I run the command, and I was still trying to update on software and it still the same happend.

Can't upgrade org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full: Can't create temporary directory

It's like 9 update list on software

Let's try with flatpak as the error is flatpak;

flatpak update
flatpak upgrade

This is happend when I type flatpak update

Warning: Failed to create a mountpoint for revokefs-fuse: Can't create temporary directory
Warning: Can't create temporary directory
Warning: Failed to create a mountpoint for revokefs-fuse: Can't create temporary directory
Error: Can't create temporary directory
Changes complete.
error: There were one or more errors

And that happend when I'm type flatpak upgrade

Changes complete.
error: There were one or more errors

And when I'm meaning type I meant copy/paste

See if this will do the trick;

flatpack repair

That command dosen't even exist

Sorry, it should be:

flatpak repair

a typo.

Oh gosh, that will take a while. I'll reply when It finishing

1 Like

Take your time, i'll be offline for a while.

So It stopped on 86/174

I'm wondering if your /home is full. Can you check how much space you have left. Flatpaks/snaps is enormous in size compared with normal package and you got a lot of flatpaks installed.

The error complains about an app called; revokefs-fuse
Try uninstall that app;

flatpak uninstall revokefs-fuse

Sorry for late repsond. I copy/paste that command and gave me this

error: revokefs-fuse/unspecified/unspecified not installed

And I check how much space I have left, and I have alot of disk space. 8,4% full

Then I'm out of ideas.
Maybe @Aravisian have some ideas to this?

Did some search on the net, not sure if this will work

https://noostyche-ru.translate.goog/blog/2021/08/26/flatpak-failed-to-create-a-mountpoint-for-revokefs-fuse/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=ajax,nv,elem

The problem occurs due to incorrectly set permissions on the / var / tmp / directory , which flatpak actively uses . Solution:

sudo chmod 1777 /var/tmp/

Thus, writing, reading and executing become available to all users, while using sticky-bit - the user can delete only those files that he owns.

Checking the applied rights:

ln -ld /var/tmp/

Command output:

drwxrwxrwt 13 root root

The t at the end indicates the presence of a sticky-bit.

Note: In this example, the number 13 means the number of hard links , it may differ from distribution to distribution, this is normal.

The flatpak programs will now work correctly.

1 Like

I do not know what is causing the Flatpak error, but if it was me, I would remvoe Flatpak.

flatpak list

Then use flatpak remove command to remove any flatpaks. You can replace what was installed as flatpaks with .deb packages for better stability.
Or, you can then reinstall flatpak as a fresh start:

sudo apt install flatpak

Then try only installing the flatpaks that you actually need and see if that halts the errant behavior.