UNRESOLVED - Change boot order (dualboot with Windows)

I have many times problem dual boot. sudo update-grub doing nothing. Sometimes just accept how it works and stop dreaming and wondering why something working here or there. Every operating system is diffrent.

Pridanc was not complaining... he had inadvertently used gigabytes instead of megabytes, not noticing that gparted is in megabytes. This is an easy thing to overlook when you are not used to installing OS's.

I know there has been some negativity on the forum, but please don't hold everyone responsible for that when they are clearly clueless and asking for help (no offense meant Pridanc).

1 Like

I wrote about myself that means I don't count all people. Every people have diffrents laptops,computers and etc. The experience people and mistakes are normal in real life. Everyone also thinking diffrent, that why sometimes could be missunderstandable. About dual boot i going with guide @Aravisian what working but after update zorin with newer kernel that dissapeart settings any time dual boot missing, i(run with F11 then choice)maybe the grub coming to default settings i don't know. I remember here when i was started here on one topic guide was with gaming but now cannot find. There working everything but now i cannot find. It was the same month when released Zorin 16 Pro. @FrenchPress sayed nothing can erase from this server topic. Maybe I am just blind. There was a guide about gaming and drivers together and grub in one topic tutorial.

Harvey,
Sorry for the delay but the holidays and travel have interfered.

No offense taken and no question I haven't a clue but I'm generally good at following instruction yet clearly not always as there are often words that go right past me. I'm giving this a go again today so fingers crossed, I have success. IF I'm successful, then I'm going to completely ditch all Windows stuff (as I've done on my laptop.) Anyway, thanks for your patience and indeed, I am NOT complaining. Just frustrated at times which is all on me! We will get there as I never give up. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated. All the best, Pridanc

Folks, I'm back and have just completed an attempt to format a stand along HD for Linux (leaving my also stand alone Windows HD intact for now) and after doing my darnedest to follow directions, just as I'm trying to complete the install (USB boot for now but installing to HD) this warning comes up. I've not tried to move past it but I know I've created an EFI partition (can be seen as the fat 32 and 524mb partition in one of the pictures) it is also shown under "device for boot loader installation" as the /dev/sdd1 If I had to say that IMO something is odd, I never purposely "mounted" that file. See pics below and let me know y'alls thoughts. Yes I am an old guy doing my best to follow instructions. HUGE thanks to all!

I recommend different sizes for EFI and Swap: Partitioning during installation

Did you select EFI as shown in pic dropdown menu (not my pic, taken from web)?

1 Like

Carmar, that was never a choice. Here is an example of what my choices are when I'm setting a partition up.
This picture is as I first ever partition the HD.

The second is what I do during actual Zorin installation.
Here the only thing I'm told to do is to make sure that at the bottom I choose this partion as "Device for boot loader installation"

At no time have I ever seen what you show me about EFI. I've followed the partition and installation instructions from this forum as best I can. Many thanks and if anything else pops up, let me know!

See the little "-" next to the "Change" button in your second pic?
First, click that to delete the fat32 partition (524MB) and then click "+" after that.
Second, enter "50 MB" for the upper field and for "Use as:" field take the dropdown selection to EFI (may say "EFI/ESP").

If you're not even getting that EFI/ESP dropdown selection, then I will defer to others to chime-in.

1 Like

TY Carmar. I will give that a look see but I do not believe there is ever a choice like you show. Many thanks and I'm going to see! I can't thank you enough for helping.

Remember that a partition must be Unmounted to enact certain changes, like resizing a partition or deleting it.

1 Like

I'm a bit curious... swap is supposed to be double your ram, but you have it set to 34MB, while your root is 20GB and home is 297GB....i would also make sure you have at least 100MB for the EFI, though 500MB is recommended.

In the live image, open disks, select the efi partition and hit the gears... then you can add the boot flag to that partition. It's the only partition that should have the boot flag. Your root is fine (i would go with at least 30GB, but it's a matter of preference). All of these changes have to be made without the partitions mounted, so in the live image... if you see the play media icon on a partition, it isn't mounted.... if you see the square media icon, it is.

Is your bios setup for legacy mode?

Harvey, yet again I bit myself by not making sure I was inputing accurate numbers so I've made changes.

However, one thing for sure you lost me one is "setup for Legacy Mode". Um...what is that and how do I do that?

Clearly I can't thank you enough. All the best, PC

Harvey, now that I've looked, the computer is thinking this is a UEFI and not a legacy. Since we've all determined that I'm an ignoramus, why UEFI or Legacy? You know why one over the other? I also think I see how to change it to Legacy. Your thoughts are more than welcome and you are so greatly appreciated. TY, PC

Harvey, the HD is a 3tb drive if that is important.

I remember windows some recognize mbr and gpt and how many partition you can create on this system with typical partition. Some people have problem with that "hard drive uninitialized".

Harvey,
Although I've previously made my swap file as a fat32 as a shot in the dark, the instructions I've followed show two differing choices.
The initial partioning sad to make the swap file a fat32 as seen here:

Yet later when I'm actually installing Zorin the instructions say to use ext4 as seen here:

I can do either so let me know your thoughts. I will use the ext4 for now.
Here is what my drive looks like now as I'm about to Install. I believe it will still be UEFI

Fingers crossed I'm almost across the finish line! TY for your help. PC

After what appeared to be a good install (thanks to everyone) alas my computer will not boot into Zorin (Ubuntu) no matter what. I'm guessing I will have to ask my motherboard maker (ASUS) because it sure looks like I've asked the UEFI BIOS to load Ubuntu first. However, no matter what the system always loads Windows a) by itself when starting, and b) no matter what I choose from the Boot List. See the pictures. First Picture simply shows that ASUS appears to be UEFI compliant. The Second pict shows the "order" I've chosen at the bottom. Order is left to right. The last shows the list of choices which seems to remain the same no matter what I do to the order. Sigh. Any thought at all and I'm appreciative. Thanks for now. I woldn't be this far with any of you! PC

THANKS EVERYONE!

Update, which should give everyone a good chuckle, ASUS help tell me that there aren't Linux drivers etc to do this! Even I say "what?" How is it possible for the computer to not run Linux Zorin from a second stand alone HD? Zorin runs fine off of the USB boot and install drive. I will continue to search for ways to get the computer not only be able to boot into Linux, but to give me the choice of booting Linux or Windows after the computer has come to life but before loading any OS. I have no idea if this is possible but I can dream right? Again, thanks everyone.

You created an efi partition instead of overwriting the windows partition, you will have to switch devices to boot into the other OS depending on which OS you were last in.

Legacy mode is for OS's that require MBR style boot. This would be for older OS's, but it's something that doesn't get along with EFI so was going to warn that it should be disabled.

Did you allow third party drivers and upgrade during install? I have almost the same machine, and surprised the video isn't working.

When you installed Zorin OS did you:

1. Go into the BIOS and disable 'Fast Boot'
  2. On newer machines you have to disable Fast Boot/Security boot option inside of Windows before you can even load the BIOS! (Only found out about this via montly Jitsi LUG (Linux User Group) meeting yesterday.
  3. The fact that Windows 10 boots every time is down to the fact that when Windows 10 shuts down it just puts the Hard Drive to sleep - which prevents you from booting to any GNU/Linux you have installed. You need to go to Power Settings then click on Advanced and turn the sleep mode for the drive to off!
  4. Also in respect of the BIOS, ensure CSM is disabled - if you have installed Zorin using the MBR method then you need to change the BIOS setting to EFI/Legacy mode.