Cheese not recognizing camera

Can I do the same for my Asus K52N as Cheese don't see my camera, too? Or should I try downloading the original webcam driver?

This has been split to a new thread as even though you both show the same problem, your troubleshooting may lead to different solutions.

1 Like

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 5
bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
resources: irq:18 memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:ff400000-ff40ffff memory:ff300000-ff3fffff memory:c0000-dffff

My laptop is an Asus K52N.

Have you yet run:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Is your camera detected at all, but not working?
Or is it not detected at all?

1 Like

It's not detected. I tried both of your commands and now it wants to download 104 MB of archives, should I accept?

1 Like

Actually... no. I am glad you asked.
Normally, I would say yes.
But i just remembered that in another thread, you were asking about the Software Updater nagging you. You said you didn't want the upgrades...
Was there a reason why you are avoiding the upgrades?

You can use apt-mark hold command to prevent a package from getting upgraded.

If you are fine with the upgrades and / or have marked packages to hold - then YES accept the 104 megs...

1 Like

I don't apply certain updates as I don't need them, for example LibreOffice ones, thanks. But if I download the original webcam driver should it work? And if yes, where should I unpack/extract/install/whatever (which path I mean)?

It may... Is it a Windows Driver? Or from Source?
Do you have a link?

1 Like

Not right now, but I know where to find it, on Asus website I can choose my laptop (Asus K52N) but as it's not Windows on choices there I doubt that there's Ubuntu, Linux and so on, I was just thinking to try the original one that was preinstalled with Windows 7, this was the original OS, then can work or maybe not :thinking:. But I'd download ANY webcam driver that would work on my laptop, no matter of driver details, just want it work. I usually don't use webcam but one day I may need it.

What are the results of:

sudo lshw -C video

?

1 Like
1 Like

Ok, nothing listed there. If it is supported by the kernel, the results of this command should include it:

ls -ltrh /dev/video*

If it doesn't show up the webcam will not be supported in the kernel. You could install a newer kernel but no guarantees. It might mean purchasing a cheap usb webcam that is known to work with Linux.

1 Like

Yes, in fact it says File or directory does not exist, while sudo lshw -C usb displays nothing :neutral_face:, anyway thanks you both for explaining, I'd close it here.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.