Color Calibration help

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I'm a new user and I would like to calibrate a laptop screen wich has Intel integrated graphics. On Windows, the easiest way is to right click and open Graphics Properties. Is there a way, preferably with GUI, to do this in Zorin? I installed "Xcalib" but it runs on terminal and the commands seems to not work. I'm using Zorin Lite.

Thanks in advanced!

1 Like

go to settings then select color and there u can calibrate ur laptop screen

1 Like

I'm also trying to set my displaycolour on my laptop with intel graphics but cant calibrate the screen. I just wanted to set it a little more red but there's no option to set it. I found a little other way in the night mode. Make the settings on manually and set the time like this: 03:00 to 02:59. Now u can set the warmth of your display. I hope this will work for you (-:

1 Like

That is for color schemes. I would like to adjust brightness and contrast, at least. Thank you so much for taking time to response.

You could try DisplayCal:
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/displaycal/displaycal_3.7.1.4-1_amd64.deb

I downloaded the .deb and installed it to test it out (I have never used it and if I am going to suggest it...). It downloaded and installed with no problems. It launched and ran without problems (Though it did give a pop up saying a newer version is now available).
I tried playing with the settings and saw the changes on the monitor. But then I stopped because I don't want to change my color profiles.

So it looks safe for you to try.

EDIT: I should point out, it installs multiple individual packages. Type "Displaycal"
into the app menu and it should show all the separate components like the profile loader, curve viewer, synthetic ICC...

Tried GNOME Color Manager?

Zorin Appearance > Theme > click red circle. Note that this applies a slight red shading to windows and system buttons, not on everything. You can see what it looks like more easily by opening File Manager where you will see folder icons, buttons, text, and window shading in red. Also, after clicking a color it may hang some seconds before applying them.

Adjusting brightness is easy, I can decrease it by holding fn and F5 and increase it by holding fn and F6. You should have quite the same keys, for example one with a small sun :low_brightness: and one with a bigger sun :high_brightness:. Or go on Settings > Energy > adjust it. On Accessibility instead you can see if High Contrast is fine for you.

Thanks, It seems interesting. And what do you recommend me to adjust a Pluge Test Pattern? If I can't find anything I'm going to have to connect an external monitor.

1. Taco on January 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm
    @ Vance
    I believe this has to do with colorspaces. Computers default to 0-255 colorspace and a TV expects a 16-235. If you have a high quality TV you may find a “Studio Color” or “PC Color” option. This should solve your problem if not:
    If your using Linux I recommend Mplayer with SMPlayer and read the Mplayer Man pages.

You are right, but that option only allows you to adjust a very limited range and isn't enough to adjust a Pluge test pattern (Black Level).

Edit: I can't find the High Contrast option, I don't think its available on Zorin Lite.

Yes, I understand. You can search for High Contrast on the system search bar to see if it appears or browse settings a bit. Specifically, this option should be found on Accessibility.

I don't have it, unfortunately.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to switch to Windows until I find a distro that allows me to calibrate the display just as easily. Zorin is good, my system gets less hot, but I have no choice. I'll try Windows 8.1, even though it's not supported. I'm going to leave everything in Dual Boot. Thank you all so much for taking the time to try to help me.

As I perused DisplayCal, I was impressed by how very much is there.
I honestly cannot fathom how a user would be unable to calibrate their display using it. Much less as calibration is not a daily effort. It is usually a one time set it and forget it deal.
Perhaps if you can clarify your needs - and why they are so stringent - we may be more help.

Setting contrast is normally done using the xgamma values in terminal. Looking around for GUI app, I came across this:

Here is further reading from DisplayCal on why setting contrast is usually a Big Deal:

This is why on Linux, Contrast is usually handled by using High Contrast Themes and Icons rather than fiddling with values - which can cause a series of unwanted issues.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.