Creating a Zorin-KDE build for myself

I have a question... What about editing an iso to use kde and then putting it on the zorin site as an unofficial release?

I tried to create a custom iso with the Zorin image, but it didn't transfer the Zorin files or themes. I haven't gone back and worked out why or how to include those files yet. May be how they configure for the installation... maybe creating your own iso from the installed version would create an installable image with the Zorin modifications.

I have done similarly in windows to create a custom xp installer, but i haven't attempted with Linux and zorin yet.

Make sure to use the core or lite images, not pro versions.

I was interested in doing something similar, but with specific software. I wanted to do a developers version, including python 3.9 and 3.10, node.js, jq, js6, Java 11 & 17, android studio, vscode, intellij IDEA community, Firefox, chrome, brave and opera. While it's not all inclusive, it's a good base for a web or mobile developer.

Here is guide how to create kde, maybe it help.

Just used host Zorin.
Then when you finish i put here on forum remake Zorin and how create ISO with your build.
Here you have also some help Build LFS Linux From Scratch tutorial part one - January 2023 - 30894961 - YouTube
In the seconda video propably you can used command sudo apt install kde-full package.

1 Like

This second guide working 100% i tested.
When you doing a compile kernel it is good idea to enabled zcat.
That help you more configuration kernel update or patch from a book Robert Love Kernel Linux Distribution and linux kernel i nutshell.
The instruction
Download Zorin Core.
Installing on hard disk. (1 host)
Create a VM install Zorin Core on Vm (2 host)
Install a ssh on virtual machine.
Then from instruction from links what i gived you start creating distribution and compile kernel.
Here is guide how update a kernel after compile.
How To Build Linux Kernel {Step-By-Step} | phoenixNAP KB - not tested
I found also on linux mint guide how from virtual machine what you created you can build your own image.iso with choosing which package you want install from example Zorin. Mint and Zorin are ubuntu then guide is the same the diffrents are desktop enviroment.
The best option to compile a kernel are processor Intel Xeon E7 or Intel Xeon E5-2697 V2 or Xeon E5-2695 V2 and some good size a ram.
The people talking best tool for creating distribution is that tool.
Remastersys download | SourceForge.net

I will also tried kde with Zorin and gived you printscreen but my hard disk isn't fast but will do that. When it long download and compile best way is.

I Hope it not burn my pc when i do that.

Hi Bourne,
I'm now happily (sorry for @Aravisian) running GNome on Zorin Core.

Hi all. It taken me 2 days creating distribution. Only now i must know what login and password also figure with connections to the internet. This all building is like Harry Potter book. Probably tomorrow will finish that. This is very confuse for people who never do that.

I am used a default config

1 Like

Anyone could me help with that issue connection internet?
If I can please someone to more unserstable that issue?

It is hard to say without a better understanding of what changes you have made. It looks like initially, you were compiling a kernel...

With shortly explanation. I am installed on real machine pc Zorin operating system.
Then I installed in vm Zorin operating system with SSH
Then I propably started Linux From Scratch where after all configuration my internet connection not working.
devv
That how looks my Zorin but I used in make menuconfig defconfig.
Not used from Zorin.
After boot i can login and using vim editor very hard to understable.
So this is something writing operating system from host Zorin.
I must sayed one it booting very fast.

I will do that again maybe more with peace and patient this isn't war and must sayed one little fail command and it could not working how it be. :slight_smile:
Not first time then second time but i am learning many things.
From LFS i will go forward to next step more understable a linux.

2 Likes

What is the best OS to build Linux from scratch?

OS. If you a former Windows 10 user the best choice is Linux Mint (or ZorinOS). If you a programmer/DevOps, then Centos or Fedora are choice for you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.