Deb installer vs ppa install

when both options of installing via the terminal from a ppa repository and a deb file with the deb installer are available, is one option better than the other? are there pros and cons to consider? Thoughts?

IMO, with a PPA you can update easier than with a .deb.

3 Likes

I think you’re reading my mind. Am I understanding this correctly? If I install using gdebi, I have to monitor for and download updated .deb files. Using gdebi means I won’t be able to use apt update and upgrade commands for the app in question.

1 Like

Correct. However you install a .deb (sudo dpkg -i or synaptic or clicking or whatever), you’d need to download an updated version of the application and reinstall.
APT would need a repository.
To me, it’s quicker to use the apt commands than going to the .deb source, redownload new .deb, and then install again.

3 Likes

Thank you for the clarifying discussion. I had caught some of this in bits and pieces the past few months. I appreciate you helping put it all together. And yes, installing and updating via apt commands sounds like the way to go.

3 Likes

Thank you for that web page .... it made it a lot clearer for me to understand why everyone suggests using the terminal to download apps with ....

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.