Delete a FAT32 partion on the bootdrive of ZorinOS

I deleted 500 MB partition. I thought it was a leftover swap. It wasn't.
I deleted it with Windows 10 Disk Management.
I could not boot pass the ZorinOS logo.
I tried to fix it by making the unallocated partition into 500MB Fat32 with Windows 10 again but it won't work.
I tried recovery mode in Grub with timeshift which included the grubloader recovery as well. It did not help me either.

What else can I try?

You haven't deleted your EFI partition by any chance?
I think they are usually set about that size.

Are you able to post a screenshot of your partitions from Windows Disk Management or Gparted? That may help us understand what partitions you now have left.

That might be it. How do I restore it or rebuild it? With a flash drive?

Others may help once they can see what partitions you have and what is missing.

In the meantime, you could have a look at this thread:

1 Like

Yes, you deleted your EFI partition. Since you created a new partition, you may try using os-prober to identify the Operating Systems on the machine and add them to grub or try Boot Repair...

Which method do you want me to try first?

os-prober

in recovery mode with root?

or

Boot Repair

How do I do this? Any guide?

I am rushing out the door, back in about an hour or so...

1 Like

I have never tried os-prober, but can say Boot Repair has got me out of trouble once.

1 Like

It is undoubtedly the boot partition.
Being FAT32 file system, that is the only Linux partition Windows can access. See the partition mapping of my Zorin installation below:

1 Like

Yeah. I have a bad habit of doing stupid stuffs. But this is how I learn.

Lesson here: DO NOT TOUCH the 500 MB FAT32 that shows up randomly in Windows 10.

2 Likes

For sure. I just saved my butt. I'm back in Zorin OS.

2 Likes

How did you end up fixing it. Boot Repair or what?

In general, it is better not to meddle with the files in other OS unless you setup a shared data partition.

Boot Repair through Zorin OS Live boot on the flash drive. I saw it reinstall grub and linux-header-generic.

2 Likes

Thanks for confiring that. That info may help someone else one day. Good to hear you are back zorining again :smiley:

After I fixed it with boot-repair with live boot, I boot into ZorinOS safely. I checked with

sapphire@sapphire-X570-UD:~$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda           8:0    0 223.6G  0 disk 
├─sda1        8:1    0     1K  0 part 
└─sda5        8:5    0 223.1G  0 part /

It looks wrong. Where is the EFI partition now?

Extra photos

Can you post a Gparted screenshot.

1 Like

Nevermind. Wrong disk.

This is it.

Your FAT32 EFI partition is on the first disk you show, not the second. But is only 100Mb.
You are dual-booting Windows, Yes?

Absolutely NOT. I know dual-boot is horrible when Windows 10 is on the same drive. That's why I put ZorinOS on its own SSD. It used to looks like @FrenchPress
's picture.