Desktop crashing with Libre & OnlyOffice

Well, that was scarey. Found and switched to the 515 last night.
This morning, couldn't boot into Zorin from the grub menu at all....blank screen. Spent an hour online on another machine, looking for ideas; finally got back in (by sheer luck) through the Zorin advanced options...hoping initially to find a safe startmode in the menu, but there isn't one; then opted to boot normally from that same menu and fortunately it brought me back to normal operation and desktop. Have now switched back to the non-proprietary driver....for now.
I think I'll have another go at this when I've recovered my nerves.
P.S no serious dust inside the computer

Sad news ...... but do not use the bottom of the list driver but more like the top of the list lol ...... It says clearly TESTED in the side comments.

So top of the list the first driver that says TESTED you need to install and try (the others are alternatives, non tested at all lol)

I really never understood Ubuntu and these kind of lists in the extra drivers .... but some say it is for having an alternative should the first one not work for some reason. Lucky my nouveau driver on my 'old Dell' works perfectly.

Actually... the "Tested" drivers are the ones that give the most trouble.
I recommend avoiding the "tested" ones as that name is quite misleading.

Did you try adding the nomodeset parameter to grub? It's as easy as adding it, running update-grub and then rebooting.
You did not need to spend an hour searching - just ask here on the forum - that is why we are here. We would have guided you to the recovery menu right away so that you would be less stressed.

Regret that although I was online on a spare laptop, broadband connection wasn't very good and I couldnt get the Zorin forum to load properly until late morning, which is when I posted.
I only learned afterwards about the nomodeset....picked it up on ItsFOSS; but took the opportunity to print the instructions off.
Now that I've got those details, I can carefully try again with another driver...probably not tonight, but when I get a spare couple of hours in the coming few days.
(There's one positive thing about having problems, and that is, you get to find out more about how the OS works :sweat_smile: )

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.