/dev/sda3: clean, 263806/19505152 files, 4972606/78010880 blocks

After I turn on my laptop this message appears. it cause boots time very long.

I will appreciate if you share me your knowledge.

I have Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

That message is an fsck message. In itself, it is harmless (and at least your drive is good).
It may be caused by a corrupted Nvidia Driver. If you are using Nvidia, purge your Nvidia drivers and reinstall them.

1 Like

thank you.
I'm not sure but if mean sudo apt-get purge nvidia* and sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall, I did them and its not still ok.

this is my partitions :

Try instead:

sudo apt remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'

Unfortunately, the problem still remains.

Let's check how much time this is adding to boot:

sudo systemd-analyze blame | grep fsck

I did it but, it doesn't bring any result!

Did you copy /paste the command? if you typed it out, there may be a typo.
I tested the command before posting it on the forum - my result:

I just write the code and the result is the same.
Screenshot from 2023-07-10 18-34-42

instead of that code, I tried this cod:

systemd-analyze blame

and I got this result:

this was a very long result.

That is very odd. You clearly have a message showing a precheck for fsck (not the full fsck, we can agree. That would run much longer). It definitely should appear when grepped.
I am honestly not sure what to make of that.

Looking at what you have... you can see that Snap is a bit hungry. You can disable the network wait online service as that is for Servers. Most desktop users have no need for it.

sudo systemctl mask NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Other than that - You may have a bad block somewhere that is causing this message to appear on boot. You can run a S.M.A.R.T. test on the drive to see if all is well with it.

1 Like

did that too. I will check the result in next restarting and let you know.

you know, due to low speed I thought maybe my swap space is low, so I did increase it and now I have this message in the time of boot:
(sorry because of low quality of picture)

it says:

systemd-fstab-generator[263]: failed to create unit file /run/systemd/generator/swapfile.swap. as it already exists. Duplicate entry in/etc/fstab?
[10.581519] systemd [255]: /usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-fstab-generator failed with exit status 1.

do you think that it may related ? and can you plz help me to fix it too?

and this is my fstab file in /etc:

The first swapfile entry in your fstab is correct, but the second one is not.
You can

sudo nano /etc/fstab

and just arrow key to the bottom and remove that last line to get rid of that.
Then tap ctrl+o to overwrite, enter to save current configuration, then ctrl+x to exit the editor.
On the subject of Swap: Swap is useful at times... it can help a lot if you are doing heavy resource production on a computer. It's not very helpful for gaming or fast paced applications - there is a delay in when Swap Takes Over. This can be adjusted by changing swappiness, but it is tricky.

Swap won't have any relation to you feeling that boot is slow. Swap deals with when you have filled your RAM and that is not going to happen on init.
Looking at the above, 50 seconds is not unreasonable on an HDD (Spinning hard drive). It's not as good as 30 or 40 seconds, but it is also not a slow boot like 1 minute 15 or 1:30 would be.
It's midrange.

On an SSD you would see a much faster boot time.

1 Like

thank you. the swap problem is fixed now.

but I checked the boot time with watch and it was 2:7. I'm sick of this. I want to get back to sweet Zorin. can you Plz help me ?

this is my Partitions. I want to know if I install Zorin all my files in Home are going to lost ?
and also based on my HHD space which is 300 GB, how should I partition them?

Wow, that is significantly longer than the reported <50 seconds from systemd analyze blame command.
I think anyone would be unhappy with a near three minute boot.

I believe you are asking if you reinstall Zorin OS, will your files be lost.
Yes.
What I do is I backup my Home Files that I wish to keep in an external drive. If doing this all at once, it can be a time consuming project. For me personally, at least, this was one of those hard learned lessons: To do regular back ups in small and quick bites, rather than to do larger ones further apart. Some use a Cloud Storage drive - which is the best way.
Only you know currently how large your home directory is and where you can backup to.
Once backed up - your home files will not be lost. They will need to be moved over to the new fresh install.
Sometimes, a Fresh Reinstall is just the thing to get problems sorted out. And it often results in some healthy cleaning, too (I know my downloads folder can accumulate a lot of clutter.)

Looking at your fstab file above, your current partitioning is fine.
Some may recommend that you create a New Partition for your Home directory, though. What this can do is isolate your Home Directory so that if you must reinstall, you are less concerned about losing files in Home.
As long as you allow at least 100gigs for root and the rest for home, that should also be fine.

I will admit, I do not practice this, though. I get the idea... But it has been often enough that while trying to help other members troubleshoot issues on this forum that we discover that the files causing the problem are actually located in the Home Directory.
And as I pointed out above, the Home Directory accumulates a lot of clutter.
So, I prefer a fresh start with Home Directory as well.
You can read further here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.