Difference Between 'Try Zorin' & 'Install Zorin'?

Try Zorin literally lets you try out Zorin OS or troubleshoot problems.

1 Like

Just a note. When running "Try Zorin" mode off a Live USB stick Persistence memory does not work, so you cannot save settings etc over a boot, even if you have included Persistence when creating the Live USB using many of the usual tools e.g. Rufus, Unetbootin.

However, I believe Persistence may work if you have used Ventoy to create your USB.

That problem goes away when you install ZorinOS. You can then make sertings and software changes that remain after a boot.

Another thing to note, you should always, even if you intend to install Zorin OS, use the "Try Zorin" option... it lets you configure the machine before the installation so it goes more smoothly.

For instance, for UEFI machines, it's best to completely wipe the internal drive (clone the drive if you've got Windows on it, so if Zorin OS just won't install, you can clone it back and be back up and running on Windows in short order) so the UEFI 'forgets' the Windows boot entry and instead puts the Zorin OS (it'll say 'Ubuntu') boot entry as the first one. I wrestled with that for awhile. So wipe the drive, then reboot back into the Zorin OS USB stick so UEFI doesn't go full-potato on you.

I literally had to:

1. clone the original Windows install (never booted) to an external USB
  2. remove the partitions from the internal drive
  3. reboot into the Zorin OS USB
  4. UEFI still wouldn't give up the Windows boot entry
  5. ... so I used sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 status=progress to zero all the drive's sectors.
  6. Then I rebooted into the Zorin OS USB, the UEFI finally dropped the Windows boot entry, and I could install Zorin OS.

If you just boot the Zorin OS USB and select "Install", UEFI will still think Windows is there and will try to boot Windows, giving you a "Drive not found" error.

1 Like

As I already have 2 different SSD for each OS I will be using inside my computer - I don't have format my Win11 SSD.

How can I ensure when installing Zorin OS on my second SSD, no errors occur?

FYI, Here's my Computer & Specs:

i7 12th gen processor intel
1TB SSD
32 GB RAM
NVidia GPU 3050 RTX Ti

Any help will be great!

Thanks for starting this thread Z_123, I am nervous nellie-ing installing Zorin at this time so this is most interesting and helpful for me.

MANY thanks to all the replies as those provide sooo much information - though a bit overwhelming at this particular moment :face_with_diagonal_mouth:.

Do I piggy back my concerns HERE or would it be better if I start my own thread?

2 Likes

I just watched the Michael Moore instructional video -
Dual-booting Windows with Linux the non-traditional method
I very much like the 'safety' factor his 'non-traditional' method provides.

QUESTION - I do have the Zorin Core .ISO file on a USB stick. Do I simply insert that stick into my new Lenovo laptop and select that .iso file to give a look at Zorin (aka TRY) OR??? are there options to select from that I need to be aware of?
Many thanks again!

Excuse me but, what year was your Lenovo laptop model released in?

As I started this thread myself, I'll let you know to feel free to start on here if you wish :slight_smile:

The Lenovo is brand new - IdeaPad 3 with i5 Core.
I am currently at General Help TRYing Zorin

What year was it released, 2021 or beyond?

not sure how to see that. Just bought it last month.

I bought my latest 2022 model (Dell XPS 15 9520) just 2 months ago.

You say your laptop was brand new, so I assume it's brand new condition, right?

yes - should be!

Sorry Harvey. I can only plead ignorance of this forum's set up. Slowly, and with the great assistance of the 'staff' here, I am settling in. Dear Al helped me to find out how to move a thread to proper category instead of creating another.

Yes, I know there is every possibility for something to become a problem - however with all the time & money I have spent on making preparations to move on & be free from MS, it's far too late for me to give up now.

I've spent months considering which Linux distro to begin with and I happened to gladly end up here.

Yes, I am ready to go down the rabbit hole and learn something on the way.

1 Like

Yes there are plenty of 'helpful' links here. The difficulty I have is that its too easy to get overwhelmed with new information. Its hard to be a newbie and while rules are meant to be helpful, they also can be intimidating and cumbersome? I have participated in forums before, but each one does have different formats and ability to maneuver posts. (I am a long time moderator at one forum and have come to learn that newbies can and will do things their own wayS.)

1 Like

While this is a very oft repeated phrase, its not entirely accurate - yes death is 'guaranteed', but taxes are a man made invention - plenty of which can be avoided :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

1 Like

The 'poor' pay no taxes (other than inflation $ucking them dry). Learned to live 'legal poverty' style years back!

[PS the folk in Canada and all 'americas' south of U$$A border could take exception with claiming that title???

1 Like

Lets not forget the Lottery - the 'voluntary' tax on both the poor & working class.

Not for spoiling the party, but the 'brand new generation' of laptops or notebooks have persistent files for and from W 11. I read an article along the line that Windows is more and more evolving to unique limited W hardware only. A lot has to do with the new generations of NVMe's ..... So, it just might be that an install of any Linux is warranted on the 'next generation' hardware. I lost the link of that article and the site that shares it. But maybe you'll have to keep it in mind as well. (BIOS-burn, TPM 2.0 -limits, and motherboard restrictions -- if I recall well)