Different boot, different HDD/SSD icons and order

Ah! I copy/pasted your command and you used a different hyphen. Worked after manually typing the command :+1:

So, if your suspicion is correct, the next boot would be with a logo and the file system sorted correctly, amirite?

I'm totally curious if it will work now! However, still having some major background tasks running, so won't reboot rn, but definitely will report on the next boot cycle.

So far already grateful for your help! If it works: Double win :slight_smile:

Have a great evening, Mr. Aravisian sir :heart:

EDIT: Oh! Does it make a difference if I expand the existing partition to the newly created free space? (After deleting the EFI partitions?). Because I did not, I just let those 17MB of free space sit there. What are 17MB nowadays :smiley: Also, don't wanna break anything just to get 17MB more space per drive ^^

No, you will just end up wasting allll that free space. You wretch.

I feel that way with most of my posts...:pleading_face:

Yep. Fingers crossed... and toes too.

Lmao! Can't believe you're lying right to my virtual face! You can't cross your toes! I feel righteously offended, report's being send!

Your posts and advises are like a car ride with a very drunk monkey in the driver's seat. The car will shake and stumble a lot, but you will arrive on the destination without ever being really in trouble :smiley:

Yeah you gotta have the attitude to come at me like that after being exposed as a liar huh? :angry: jkjk :joy:

1 Like

Prove that I can't cross my toes. :wink:

1 Like

Prove the opposite :cool: Pics or it didn't happen insert troll face here

Edit: How did we get here from sudo commands? :joy: Holy :joy:

1 Like

Hey there,

A small update. As you've seen I have quite a bunch of HDDs connected to the computer. I've been going crazy today about it, as multiple drives randomly kept on disconnecting, reconnecting, disconnecting, reconnecting...And no reboot, neither of the computer, nor the HDD cases seemed to solve the problem.

That's why I now disabled CSM Support in my BIOS and now I had a boot logo and the drives ordered "correctly" for the first time. The system is stable too. That's why I opened this thread asking for CSM recommendations to verify my assumption.

However, as this was going on for the past 6 or so hours, I'm still a bit skeptic.

In general, if anybody is familiar with multiple HDDs in 4-/8- and 10-bays, I'd soak up any insight you might have, as it's pretty annoying to reboot the computer every 5 minutes due to an HDD I/O error or similar (All bays are connected through USB 3.0 or Type-C directly to the motherboard).

It's a little bit off topic, but my guess is that the no-boot-logo/yes-boot-logo situation, drives and their partitions + CSM support are all tangled up together.

Have a great day wherever you are. I keep praying that there won't be the next HDD failure just around the corner ^^

EDIT: Ah wow! Awesome! Now indeed all HDDs work, but they're all not mounted where they used to be :joy: :joy: :joy: What the actual heck is going on :weary:

i.E., what used to be /mnt/Volume6/... is now /mnt/Volume2/...
and /mnt/Volume3/... is now /mnt/Volume4/... :joy: and so on :joy:

Meaning nothing is where it used to be, which is pretty much the worst case scenario.

Holy mother of God... :sob: Something in my setup is just very, very wrong :cry:

1 Like

It's like a roller coaster...

It iiiiis! :weary: I just want a running system without any issue :cry: This can't be so hard, can it? :roll_eyes:

Have you had more than one install of Zorin OS on this machine?

Technically yes, but I used a brandnew SSD for this installation, where Zorin never was installed before. Also, I manually wiped all partitions prior to installing Zorin :confused:

How would you feel about reinstalling Zorin OS?:expressionless:

I ask because I wonder if a configuration is corrupted. And sussing it out could take a long time, if successful...

I wouldn't feel too bad about it, but given that I've only had problems with Zorin so far, I'm not sure if going back to Windows would be the better option, I'm desperate about this :roll_eyes:

What else can I do besides wiping the SSD and freshly install Zorin? I mean why would we expect another outcome than what's happening now? :slightly_frowning_face:

Btw: Did I mention that I'm having weird code lines of errors every time I shutdown Zorin? This is the case ever since I'm using Zorin. Something like "Bla bla cannot unmount XY Device or ressource busy", something like that. Sometimes there're more errors, sometimes less, but this has been the case on all 3 installations.

Also, I'm manually remounting my drives now, which is a pain in the seat-meat, but what can I do else :slightly_frowning_face:

Sounds like insanity? Computers are a bit different. A fresh install can work wonders. On Zorin, Ubuntu, MacOS or on Windows.
As I said, if a Configuration is corrupted then a fresh installation would correct that.

This is pertinent information, actually...

This means that programs or files are accessing files on those drives. You can use lsof /mnt to figure out what in order to end those processes safely. But first, what file system are you using on all these other drives?

Yeah I totally agree with that, I just remember that the last time I fresh installed Zorin, the issues were still there.

donatus@LinuxxDanceMachine:~$ lsof /mnt
donatus@LinuxxDanceMachine:~$ sudo lsof /mnt
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.portal file system /run/user/1000/doc
Output information may be incomplete.

Does that help in any way? :smiley:

All of the external (and internal) HDDs are in NTFS file system

I'm thinking of trying another Linux distro, but I feel that the issues may just pack their bags and come with me ^^

I understand, as this is not something so easily tested to be sure...

What do you think? Do you know OpenSuse? From what I just read it's quite stable and interacts well with plenty of hardware. I think I'm gonna give it a try now. (But will eventually be back on Zorin v17 :smiley: )

I'd try Fedora, Pop_OS or Devuan... Devuan is more for the experienced than the beginner, actually... Nevermind. Fedora may be a good first stop to try out.

Thank you for your suggestions. Just installing fedora :slight_smile: good luck and see you soon, with a laughing and a crying eye

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.