Different boot, different HDD/SSD icons and order

It's like a roller coaster...

It iiiiis! :weary: I just want a running system without any issue :cry: This can't be so hard, can it? :roll_eyes:

Have you had more than one install of Zorin OS on this machine?

Technically yes, but I used a brandnew SSD for this installation, where Zorin never was installed before. Also, I manually wiped all partitions prior to installing Zorin :confused:

How would you feel about reinstalling Zorin OS?:expressionless:

I ask because I wonder if a configuration is corrupted. And sussing it out could take a long time, if successful...

I wouldn't feel too bad about it, but given that I've only had problems with Zorin so far, I'm not sure if going back to Windows would be the better option, I'm desperate about this :roll_eyes:

What else can I do besides wiping the SSD and freshly install Zorin? I mean why would we expect another outcome than what's happening now? :slightly_frowning_face:

Btw: Did I mention that I'm having weird code lines of errors every time I shutdown Zorin? This is the case ever since I'm using Zorin. Something like "Bla bla cannot unmount XY Device or ressource busy", something like that. Sometimes there're more errors, sometimes less, but this has been the case on all 3 installations.

Also, I'm manually remounting my drives now, which is a pain in the seat-meat, but what can I do else :slightly_frowning_face:

Sounds like insanity? Computers are a bit different. A fresh install can work wonders. On Zorin, Ubuntu, MacOS or on Windows.
As I said, if a Configuration is corrupted then a fresh installation would correct that.

This is pertinent information, actually...

This means that programs or files are accessing files on those drives. You can use lsof /mnt to figure out what in order to end those processes safely. But first, what file system are you using on all these other drives?

Yeah I totally agree with that, I just remember that the last time I fresh installed Zorin, the issues were still there.

donatus@LinuxxDanceMachine:~$ lsof /mnt
donatus@LinuxxDanceMachine:~$ sudo lsof /mnt
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.portal file system /run/user/1000/doc
Output information may be incomplete.

Does that help in any way? :smiley:

All of the external (and internal) HDDs are in NTFS file system

I'm thinking of trying another Linux distro, but I feel that the issues may just pack their bags and come with me ^^

I understand, as this is not something so easily tested to be sure...

What do you think? Do you know OpenSuse? From what I just read it's quite stable and interacts well with plenty of hardware. I think I'm gonna give it a try now. (But will eventually be back on Zorin v17 :smiley: )

I'd try Fedora, Pop_OS or Devuan... Devuan is more for the experienced than the beginner, actually... Nevermind. Fedora may be a good first stop to try out.

Thank you for your suggestions. Just installing fedora :slight_smile: good luck and see you soon, with a laughing and a crying eye

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.