Drivers in Zorin

I know that Ubuntu doesn't use drivers per say but rather kernels .... so I'm at a loss as to where the drivers are stored ..... I need to update my Asus drivers manually .... I did some research before hand but can't find anything on where these will be stored and what is already installed .... nothing on Zorin Question and Answers and nothing I could find on Ubuntu or maybe I'm just asking the wrong question ....

I want to install ALL my drivers for my Asus LT to see if it can clear up some issues I'm having .... I have downloaded all the drivers from the Asus website and need to install them manually .... I know in Win all you do is open the zip file and find the exe file and execute it but how does that work in Zorin ???? .....

Would it be easier for me to install them on Win (I dual boot) and would these same drivers be recognized when I went back to Zorin or would Zorin change them back to the drivers it uses ....

1 Like

Are you talking about updating the BIOS or driver to Zorin systen, Im a bit confused.

1 Like

Not gonna mess with the BIOS just yet on the Asus website it looked kinda complicated and I don't want the Asus LT to become a door stop ....

I want to reload ALL the drivers that came installed on my laptop some of them were updated in 2022 where as my laptop was built in 2019 this include Video ... Audo .... Mother Board .... Touch Pad .... etc ..... I believe there are some 10-12 plus some others that they recommend to be downloaded and installed ....

So I went back to Win and updated all my Laptop drivers except my NVIDIA ones as I was kinda afraid I'd loose my screen drivers .... but I did just download the 515 last week .... also under propitiatory drivers there is nothing listed for anything except NVIDIA drivers .....

According to something I read on the Ubuntu website if there were additional driver downloads they would be listed there .... so at this point I have no idea if what ever I did is correct or not .... I do know I updated my WiFi driver and I don't need my dongle for now ..... so that is a step in the right direction if it holds true ....

As far as the BIOS I don't think there is any reason to upgrade it as I don't think it is the cause of my problems ....

Oh well maybe someone a lot smarter than me can come along and solve them .... I'm just plain :tired_face: :zzz:

As you already stated most drivers comes with the kernel. Perhaps trying another kernel, a more recent one?

1 Like

You won't get Asus drivers or any other computer brand drivers to work in Linux. The one exception being Dell who offer Ubuntu on their XPS models. But this does not mean the Dell drivers are present on their Ubuntu machines! As you have correctly identified the kernel as the source for drivers you can't search for drivers in the kernel.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Zorin OS 16 Webcam not recognized

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.