Dual booting with windows 11

So I'm thinking it is still not installed right. Is there a reason windows is blocking, or is the OS not able to handle modern hardware and graphics of a simple windows computer? What makes this frustrating is that the laptops are only 5 and 7 years old and they are running great on Zorin OS, but so far no luck dual booting after what I would say was way past two dozen re-installs. Willing to start again if I can find a way to make it stick and just a start up selection. Help please.

I have actually been unable to follow along on the Computers - as in what are their specs? What Make?
You mention several, but I am not sure if there is one that is known to have hardware compatibility issues.
If we can forget about the ones where everything is working fine and focus only on that which is not, it may help.

List out the hardware Details so we can check if there are any unsupported hardware components.
At 5 - 7 years old, it seems unlikely - but it is possible.

As far as Dual Booting:

Windows is its own OS and Linux OS's are their own OS. They do not cross share information - at all. None. Configurations and settings on Windows are 100% independent from any on Linux (Zorin OS, in this case). They do not and cannot interact in any way.
The only thing that can affect both is something in BIOS (Motherboard) settings.
Remember, the motherboard BIOS has its own operating system. The OS that you install, Windows or Linux, communicates with the Motherboards built in OS, it does not run it.
And these days, we do see motherboards including operating systems that have configurations for things like sound hardware - which is... odd. Most likely, it is due to the trend in Gaming machines where manufacturers are looking for some kind of Competitive edge over other brands.
These Mother board settings can inhibit or even prevent the Users Operating System from having full functionality however.

1 Like

It's the new computer that iis giving me issues, the older ones run fine on Zorin. But Zorin is not booting in in normal, only safe, which means drivers, and devices are missing or cut to boot in, I feel I'm missing those.

Again, working with Limited Information here...
You might try a later kernel on the New Computer.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.02

Reboot and test.

no I loaded into the safe graphics mode and chose the first safe mode to load.
In trying out Zorin - no graphical errors - though the system does not recognize the exterior monitor and runs generic, so no sound unless I plug headphones or speakers to computer itself.
yes
as far as I know a partition
?
yes to two of those - TPM - first I've heard mention of it - explain how or least why-
Saring space with windows on a 2 tet fazang drive
Zorin shows up when going to F7 which brings up a boot menu - I pick the Ubunto choice and go from there. In the Bios itself - I do not see ubunto, to select it to be first.
No - tell me how and I will.
I appreciate the help.

so now from calling up the boot menu I can choose ubuntu - and Zorin now logs in with no issue, so first thing I'd like to do is get Zorin to recognize the video from the HDMI port so to get those properties and get sound back.
Second I would like upon start to just see a menu of the two OSs and select from there. I got it to load properly by downloading a ubuntu app for video codexes, codes, and drivers associated with the latest version.

Am following those threads as well. Thank you.
Beelink desktop, pro-5 - I5 - 10 cores, threads 12 12th gen, 64m ddr4, iris graphics, - what else you need.
Also disabled TPM - figured out.

OK - I've got it to dual boot - cruised the Bios a bit - now is there a way to maybe restore any app/drivers not used due to install in safe mode?

This it?

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 4601 (rev 04)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 46a8 (rev 0c)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 464d (rev 04)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 51ed (rev 01)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Device 51ef (rev 01)
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 51f0 (rev 01)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 51e0 (rev 01)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 51d3 (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 51b8 (rev 01)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 51bc (rev 01)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 5182 (rev 01)
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Device 51c8 (rev 01)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device 51a3 (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Device 51a4 (rev 01)
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Device 1e4b:1202 (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)

Appreciate the help - I've got no sound now - including exterior speakers and headphone - both of which I had at the beginning - now lost - wierd.

Oibaf has dropped Focal support:

Supported Ubuntu versions:
- 22.04 (jammy) <- supported
- 23.04 (lunar) <- supported
- 23.10 (mantic) <- supported
1 Like

I did the ubuntu kernal update that you sugested - restarted twice - it worked on the second shot - can use headphone and exterior speakers. I can work with this, but would love for it to recognize the monitor's sound system over the hdmi - then it would be totally smooth.

Are there Bios securities that I should turn back on now that it runs and works?

Thank you!

How long before Zorin 17 comes out?

Thank you - looking forward to it - my visual graphics are great - sound is still lacking from monitor to pc return - sound out from pc via speaker or headset - fine. weird.

Loving Zorin - my wife saw it and had me write up instructions to set up dual boot on her new Zen book. It Works but was actually written for you guys wanting to try Dual-booting as a guide put together from the materials on this site.

Creating a Dual Boot Zorin (Ubuntu)/Windows On Modern Hardware:

A

Things to do on the windows side before OS installation:

1- pick your C drive and shrink volume to half size. Left click.

2- Under Power Options -> Change what closing the lid does to suspend and Change what pushing the power button does to power off only, you get a window that has a section grayed out at the bottom. Make sure you click the shield, provide your password or hit allow,

B

Now into the Bios -

1- UEFI type is preferred over Fat

2- disable Secure Boot and password & TMP (all versions)

3- disable Fast Boot & Hibernation

4-Disable Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology)

5- change boot order to usb device first

C

Now Create USB – Suggest Rufus software – though slow, it is thorough – the iso to use

the Desktop version – here – Enterprise Open Source and Linux | Ubuntu. You will also find tips on how to use Rufus here - Create a bootable USB stick with Rufus on Windows | Ubuntu and here for Zorin - Zorin OS - Make your computer better.

D

Now - Before You Install I mention it again because it is important. Boot your USB with the Ubuntu (Zorin) live image and select Try Ubuntu (Zorin) OS. Once your desktop loads, left-click (here-on-in referred to as click or double click) the 9 dot icon on the left of the taskbar to access the App Menu. In the search box of the app menu, type: gparted. Double Click the icon in the window, on the right, below the search box. This will open GPARTED in the center of your screen. Then follow these instructions at this sight – editing personal choices and replace the OS Zorin name (an Ubuntu derivative) with Ubuntu - but not for us:

[HOW TO] Partition & Install Zorin 16 Following these simple instructions you will now be ready to install Ubuntu.

E

Install Ubuntu (Zorin) using your personal preferences – it will install and then ask to reboot – yes – wait till it asks to remove flashdrive, then remove and F12 into bios to choose operating system to boot to first – choose Ubuntu /(Zorin)which will then upon restart offer you the choice of rebooting into Windows or Zorin. Choose Zorin. Call up Terminal and put in - timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

then type in the requested pw if asked for – but once entered, then

then sudo update-grub -then enter - time is fixed for the Linux side.

Now restart and select Windows side, boot in, go to Time and Date in control panel and make it look similar to this -

A![|665x408](file:///tmp/lu13830gy9c.tmp/lu13830gydq_tmp_40ab8b52aa3c022f.png) nd then hit the Sync. Button, Your clock button and time is now synch.ed.

Now restart in bios once again and set correct day and time there, then go to Windows and reset once again in Time settings – done.

Go back to Zorin and update till no more updates, then download useful aps, etc.

Suggestions here -

Commands and Links:

Update & Upgrade:

sudo apt update; sudo apt upgrade

Install Favorite Apps:

sudo apt install vlc gimp gparted synaptic

Install Ubuntu Restricted Extras (Media Codecs):

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Install Timeshift Backup Tool:

sudo apt install timeshift

Install Preload:

sudo apt install preload

Improve Laptop Battery:

sudo apt install tlp tlp-rdw

Just run the above command and you don’t need to do anything else. It’ll make your laptop battery last longer by implementing some power-saving protocols. Sorry, I forgot this one in the video.

Firefox Tweaks: Go to -

about:config

layers.acceleration.force-enabled

gfx.webrender.all

Change DNS:

Install Tweak Tool:

sudo apt install gnome-tweak-tool

GNOME Extensions:

https://extensions.gnome.org/

Numix Theme and Icons:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:numix/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install numix-gtk-theme numix-icon-theme-circle

Synaptic Package Manager:

sudo apt install synaptic:

Bleachbit:

sudo apt install bleachbit

Note - To make doc formats easy, pick a Windows style font (or Microsoft – (can download for free), and pick Microsoft extensions such as .docx, or .xlsx – and so on. As Done here.

Enjoy! And I hope it helps others as well.

1 Like

Disable means not to allow - many people have differing styles of bios - so apply that in reference to that - and it becomes evident - hopefully. Nothing is guaranteed, however, it's worked so far. Please use and correct any part that better matches your experience - as experiences may vary. This is only a general guide using Zorin resources and a smattering of Ubuntu itself. Nothing definitive can be written because of all the differing hardware out there having it's own nuances

Ahhh -thank you - missed that - cleared that up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.