Dual monitors option gone

Until a recent upgrade I was able to have dual monitors running with Zorin Lite.

Now the option is gone, can’t find or see it, or the option is just not there anymore.

Anyone with any info or advice. I’m assuming that Zorin with the upgrade took that option away, might be wrong.

‘Setting’ - ‘Display’ route doesn’t work it only leads to a brand new window that only leaves a ‘default’ option to view. EXTREMELY disappointed.

No idea what happened.

Many thanks in advance…

My first suggestion is to check that the monitors’ hardware are fine - cables and power supplies work fine?

Can you use terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and grep " install " /var/log/dpkg.log to see what you installed recently? You’d have to shortlist based on when the monitors were last functioning.

My wife’s PC runs Core and her dual monitors are functioning fine, so I can’t help by checking my own.

Are there any other changes you recently made?

I re-connected my old W7 HD and it was a-ok…

So it has to be something with Zorin.

The Display option is all different too.

Many thanks in advance…

I can assure you, the ability to use more than one monitor was not removed and will not be removed.
What graphics card are you running?

This one:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/gt-1030/

And was running super until the changes in the Display prompt. In the prompt it doesn’t even give the option of multiple screens anymore. No clue where to find the new one.

Thanks again guys!

Ok, and can you check if you are using Nouveau or Nvidia drivers- or Proprietary graphics drivers?
You can go to Software & Updates and go to the Additional Drivers tab and check for available drivers there, as well. But I suspect you may need to roll a driver back, rather than update one.

Says:

Nvidia GP108 GeForce GT 1030

Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-390 (proprietary tested)

Thanks again!

Did this driver update recently?
Also, can you post the output of

uname -a

to show Kernel version?

Apologies but unsure what output of ‘uname-a’ means and what kernel version is.

And no the driver did not update to my knowledge.

Thanks again…

Sorry, I slipped into lingo, there.
If you could open a terminal by hitting the ctrl+alt+t keys on your keyboard.
Paste into it:

uname -a

This will print an output of that command, in this case, the command asks for system information. The information is what version kernel you are running. The Linux kernel is similar to how Windows uses the NT kernel and Android uses the... Android kernel (Which is a modified Linux kernel).
The kernel is what delegates functions to the processor. You might consider it like a Conductor.

When you run the above in terminal, you can highlight the output with your mouse, then right click and choose "copy" and then paste that here in this thread.

Says:

ThinkCentre-M58p 5.3.0-46-generic #38~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 31 04:17:14 UTC 2020 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

No worries, and thank you…

Can you run in terminal

sudo apt full-upgrade

and see if this upgrades all your software? Your kernel version is a few behind what is currently released on Zorin.

Says:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run ‘sudo dpkg --configure -a’ to correct the problem.

Thanks again…

Run that in terminal.

1 Like

THANK YOU GOOD SIR!!!

Thank You all!!!

Resolved!

1 Like