Enter GRUB

Press the escape key when booting

And how do I make sure that on every boot I boot with the old kernel?

i would remove the newer on when you booted in the older kernel. Use synaptic to do so and use the search function to find kernel-headers.

If you want to do it manually you can follow this guide.

1 Like

Ok. And what if the software updater updates the kernel automatically? Should I do the whole process again?

I think you can block that in synaptic, but i have to ask this @Aravisian to make sure of it.

Ok. I'll check it.

One more question: How do I know when should I upgrade to the new kernel? Just switch to a new kernel after a while?

I switched to old kernel from GRUB and removed the newer kernels, but still after reboot uname -r shows newer kernel being used. What do I do?

how did you remove them ? with synaptic ?

in terminal what is the output ?
sudo dpkg --list | egrep -i --color 'linux-image|linux-headers|linux-modules'

I removed them with synaptic(complete removal).

This may be of interest, re lock kernel via Synaptic: Zorin OS Update After Sept 6 '21 kernel 5.11.0-34 Black Screen - #37 by Aravisian

You will have to ask @FrenchPress to translate the Japanese screenshot though :wink:

Yes, I locked the latest version of kernels after removal.

Did you remove:
headers
Modules?

Search synaptic for the Kernel version number you wish to remove.
For example, let's say you want to remove 5.11.0-37:
linux 5.11.0-37
That should show the packages - and any that are marked as installed.

1 Like

Oops. I just removed headers. Ok. I'll now remove the other two too.

Okay. I booted to an old kernel from GRUB. Removed headers, image, and modules using sudo apt remove --purge linux-*-5.11.0-37*

Then opened synaptic and have put a hold on linux kernel 5.11.37 and rebooted my laptop.

Now I am using 5.11.27 kernel and everything is good!!

1 Like

The apt-mark hold command must be used on the kernel, not the version.
Try:
sudo apt-mark hold linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic

Okay. Will do it now.

This will prevent kernel updates entirely?

Yes. It will lock the kernel in, preventing upgrading the kernel from software updates. Very useful when a later kernel has a regression.

1 Like

Thanks for kicking in @Aravisian

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.