Ethernet and wifi issues - new install

as it is setup for dual boot, when you get to choosing your operating system, there is a choice for Advanced Options for Zorin

Not everyone is keen on opening his/her desktop or laptop.
You (and I) belong to a group of people called "computer nerds". :nerd_face:

apologies for the dust lol

Its a TL-WN881ND

I recommend one of those to blow dusts.
It is way more economical than the compressed air in a tin can.
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01G1Z0RF0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ah, you also belong to the nerd club :nerd_face:
Did you assembled it yourself?

Yes matey and thank you. it is in need of an upgrade soon though which is another reason why i am looking at this operating system :+1:

I built mine more than 5 years ago.
The problem/advantage of Linux is that it is soooo efficient with resources and makes me feel less need for upgrade.

1 Like

Weird, I have one of those, and it uses an Athereos Chipset

Could that be why it is not picking anything up then?

1 Like

It shouldn't matter

1 Like

He did - and I am stumped.

Upon reboot, you should land back on the 5.11 kernel. You can remove the 5.8 kernel, if you want to.

1 Like

So should OP buy another Wi-Fi card?

i have ordered a usb dongle so will try that tomorrow night

2 Likes

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know, i have just got in from work, my USB adapter that i ordered had arrived. I plugged it in, fired up the main PC and it worked on the old install. I now have wifi (Yaaaay :partying_face:)
The system did some upgrades so i am now going to see if the Ethernet is now working

2 Likes

ok, Ethernet is still not working so i can only assume that it has something to do with the bios settings???

That is the reason I am an advocator of USB WiFi. One needs an internet connection to solve a connection issue :slight_smile:
It is very useful to have one of those. I just ckecked my collection and count 10 - I think I now qualified as a collector :sweat_smile: (as well as my collection of dozens of keyboards, mice, trackpads...)

1 Like

I still would have thought that the inbuilt Ethernet would work out of the box though

It all depends on which chipsets the manufacturers decided to put in your system. "Not every Windows PC is Linux compatible" is what I've learnt in the last 10 years of Linux use.

1 Like

ok, as i have the internet working on my usb dongle, how can i get the wired and the PCE card working?

I have just done this to help

mark@mark-Pc:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for mark:               
  *-network                 
       description: Wireless interface
       product: RTL8192EE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
       logical name: wlp5s0
       version: 00
       serial: 50:3e:aa:31:5d:c4
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192ee driverversion=5.11.0-37-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
       resources: irq:48 ioport:d000(size=256) memory:fe200000-fe203fff
  *-network
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: I211 Gigabit Network Connection
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
       logical name: enp6s0
       version: 03
       serial: 1c:1b:0d:96:b1:24
       size: 1Gbit/s
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=igb driverversion=5.11.0-37-generic duplex=full firmware=0. 6-1 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
       resources: irq:19 memory:fe100000-fe11ffff ioport:c000(size=32) memory:fe120000-fe123fff
  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       physical id: 1
       bus info: usb@2:2
       logical name: wlx7cc2c61d3666
       serial: 7c:c2:c6:1d:36:66
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=r8188eu driverversion=5.11.0-37-generic ip=192.168.1.71 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn

I don't just want to put any random codes in that i dont know what they do ect

Early on in this thread, we covered:

Was that ever performed?

Its called breathing out :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: