Failed to install zorin os

Yet another debate over the backup strategy.
There is more than one way to do it, which means there is no perfect method discovered yet :wink:

Whatever the method you chose I do NOT recommend a built-in backup tool (Daja-Dup) comes with Zorin.

4 Likes

Actually, there is. Here, I will link you to it:

:smiley:

3 Likes

You again stole my mouth's words :smiley:

3 Likes

I still think Rescuezilla is easier to preserve a fleshly installed perfectly functioning system.

As long as user keeps a good daily or hourly or minutely backup of the personal data, recovering from a disaster using the disk image would be much easier than start from scratch.

Considering the amount of time we all pored here to make @thirteenth_13's system to get up and going - he surely should make at least one disk image to preserve those efforts.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Zorin security question

A post was merged into an existing topic: Zorin security question

Any particular reason not to recommend Zorin "Backup"(Deja-Dup)?

I backup my profiles /home folders with it, doing full backup each time, not incremental back-up's.

1 Like

Some users on this forum in addition to my daughter-in-law failed to restore using DejaDup. I think @Aravisian explained in the other thread - if there are any changes made in the installed apps after DejaDup imaging, it could get messy to restore.

1 Like

DejaDup also formats the back up in it's own format that you cannot access without dejadup. Any corruption on that point can cause the data to become much harder to retrieve.
A user had started a thread on here not long ago with that very problem.

2 Likes

What, even when confined to /home folders and files?

I am not sure how changes to installed app's would drastically affect conents of /home, but maybe just my ignorance.

1 Like

That I do not know.
I think the people had a problem in entire OS backup including my daughter-in-law.

I understand. Yes if you have a different version of DejaDup then I could see that may cause problem in restoring a backup from older version of DejaDup maybe.

I too would not use DejaDup for whole system backup. Rescuezilla/Clonezilla image backup tools are better suited to that purpose IMO.

1 Like

One reason I prefer Clonezilla.
Clonezilla image made years ago, still can be restored with the latest version of Clonezilla :slight_smile:

hay how to get root acess?

just add
sudo
at the beginning of each command line

4 Likes

yeah it work thank you :wink:

3 Likes

Elevate terminal to root - Remember, Root is the Top level Directory /

sudo -i

Elevate /Home directory to root privileges:

sudo su

2 Likes

All these usb sticks can be recovered.

3 Likes

Do we have a tutorial for different methods to resuscitate USB memory?

3 Likes

No, i will do that tommorow

3 Likes