Failures during boot. How can I fix it?

Hi people, could someone please help me out with this...

My laptop with Zorin (16.1 Pro) is having some trouble everytime I boot since I installed it. It eventually starts the desktop UI but takes a very long time (not normal) and lots of weird glitches/errors/failures during boot (see attached photos), the Zorin logo keeps blinking non-stop. Sometimes it even fails to boot whatsoever.

I have Dell Inspirion 15 Series 5000, I wiped my Windows 10 and did a fresh install of Zorin 16.1 Pro (had some trouble because it's an SSD but I manage to pass through it even with the messy boot/failures during installation).

If possible I would like to fix that without reinstalling all the system since I've already configured and installed my softwares.

Yes I bought the PRO version for helping the devs since this distro is so good!

Thank you for your assistance.
Eduardo

1 Like

Try repairing it directions are here

It looks like your /usr/share/plymouth/themes file got borked. That's where the splash screen is stored

1 Like
1 Like

Unfortunately it does not work. I noticed the same problem re-downloading the ISO and even with other distros. Although the distro works, the booting is always messy. It flickers and shows always the same errors.

Also, I noticed that the only way I can boot and start zorin OS correctly is very quickly pressing Ctrl + C during the start, so I guess the problem is something related to the system check that happens every boot... Is there a way to permanently skip/disable this system file checking?

Thank you for helping me!

Same flickering ane errors after your instructions, unfortunately.

What is that error about your NVidia GPU only supported as high as 470 driver?
Have you tried switching to the 470?

Do you have nomodeset parameter in your grub file?

1 Like

I don't know what this Nvidia message means, I don't think it's important since these errors occurs on any distro with or without the Nvidia drivers support.

What is "nomodeset" parameter? Sorry I'm newbie. Still learning most of stuff - but it's the first time I can't solve something Linux related on my own :((

I am sorry, I was not very clear. It was a rhetorical question to draw your attention to it. Please switch to using the 470 Proprietary Driver (Not the Proprietary *tested driver).

A grub parameter is a custom command added to the default boot with Grub file to instruct the computer to initialize within certain parameters, or to initialize a certain way.
You can adjust , add or remove parameters. Just be sure to know what you are doing...:wink:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

look for this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Change it to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

Tap ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to complete the process.
Now, you must run sudo update-grub in order for grub to see the newly added parameter.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.