Folders not sorting numerically

I am using XnView MP to do all my photo and video needs and one thing I noticed is that when I assign a number to a folder I'm going to store photos or info in .... 1-9 works just fine but when I choose 10 it reverts to the folder behind folder 1 ..... 20 behind #2 and so forth .....

It does it with the photos also but I can work around it by using the batching feature but the folders are a different animal altogether ....

I would look it up on the web but I have no idea what to call it .... just hoping someone else has had this problem and found a solution ....

It's actually typical of any OS, windows would do the same. The sorting algorithm is going to group according to the first digit. 2, 25, 239, 2579 are all going to be at the top. 9, 97, 948 will be at the bottom. It has to do with how alphabetical sorting occurs. You can possibly put a request into the developers of the kernel, but it's not as important as new features or compatibility with new hardware.

Thanks for the reply 337harvey but this is the first time I have ever encountered this problem .... in the past whatever I numbered a folder say from 1-20 and beyond they always followed suite one behind the other not 1 10 2 20 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .... 1 being at the front and 10 being at the rear .....

I don't think it has anything to do with Zorin so it's probably just me ..... I'll figure something out .... thanks

If you know numbers will extend to 2 digits, start with 01, 02...
If you know numbers will extend to 3 digits, start with 001, 002...

1 Like

Edited title for clarity.

@Frog - I believe Windows 10 does that too. I recall seeing the same on my work laptop.

Thanks zabadabadoo ..... now I understand why when you batch rename in XnView MP it has a box at the top with #### Templates in it which you can change to 1### .... 2### .... 3### or some other combination and right under it is the Start 1 ... 2 .... 3 ... 4 etc ...

I have used that system for my photos but never for my folders which usually have a name not a number .... so now I will just batch file my folders the same way ....

1 Like

Since the offered template is ###### why not place the digit on the right and the program should handle any digits left while keeping them in order. (Ex. #####1)

1 Like

Yes sir that will work great for my pictures .... in addition I use the first # for further identifying groups of pictures .... 10001 ... 10002 .... 10003 .... 20001 .... 20002 .... 30001 .... 30002 etc. ..... it makes it just that simpler to group photos ..... however haven't tried that on folders yet but I assume it should work the same ....

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.